An issue causing some users to not get mapped to appropriate organizations should now be resolved. Going forward, this means when an Organization has email address mapping, any user created with an email address mapped to that organization will be instantly tied to it.
It was possible to suspend Owners of Zendesk accounts. Surprisingly, this caused issues :) We've added measures to reduce the possibility of Owner's getting suspended.
A problem with nested custom fields meant macros were unable to set them. This should be resolved.
It was possible to create users with simply "@" in their name. This caused Zendesk to error. We've fixed this so Zendesk no longer has issues with it.
For end-users on Internet Explorer, the language selection dropdown was occasionally spanning of the page at low resolution. This is now resolved.
In some browsers it was not possible to select users by clicking them in auto-complete fields, such as Requester or CC fields on Tickets. This is now resolved.
User tags with . in them caused issues on some pages. This should no longer be a problem.
Agent collision was causing multiple messages to appear in the ticket hover, display on table views. This no longer occurs.
Some users were able to see forums restricted by tags. This was a caching problem, and didn't allow actual access to any restricted forums. It's now resolved.