Forums/Community/Community tips & tricks

How to use the Pivotal Target.

Skip Moore
posted this on November 08, 2009 22:38

Before starting, make sure to have a API Token and the project ID from Pivotal. In the Pivotal account, go to My Profile and grab the API Token if one isn't there at the bottom of the page there is a Generate token link. The project ID is in the URL of the project  (http://www.pivotaltracker.com/projects/123456).

After you have a token and the project ID go to Settings=>Extensions=> Targets and Add Target. Select the Pivotal Tracker.

skip-pivotal-target1.jpg

Give your target a name and copy the Pivotal Tracker API token into the token field, copy the project ID into the Project ID field. Then pick one of the story types.

Types of Stories

There are four types of stories in Tracker: Features, Chores, Bugs, and Releases.

Feature Features are stories that provide verifiable business value to the team's customer. Examples of features include "add a 'special instructions' field to the checkout page", "purchase history should load in half a second", and "add a new method addToInventory to the public API". Features are worth points and therefore must be estimated.

Chore Chores are stories that are necessary, but provide no direct, obvious value to the customer. Examples include "sign up for access to geocoding service" and "Find out why the detailed test suite takes so long". Chores can represent "code debt", and/or points of dependency on other teams.

Bug Bugs represent unintended behavior that can be related to features, for example "login box is wrong color", and "price should be non-negative".

Release Releases are used to delimit a set of stories comprising a particular set of features. They can be thought of as a milestone, or a point in the backlog that is of some interest, such as when you will be prepared for a certain demonstration or to release updates to your live site.

skip-pivotal-target2-1.jpg

Once the target has fired you will get a story placed in the Icebox with the subject of "From ticket#<ticket.id>". You can change this once you start tracking it within Pivotal.

Icebox - stories that have yet to be prioritized. Stories can stay in the icebox indefinitely, while they are 'on ice'. When ready, a story in the icebox can be prioritized by dragging it into the current panel or backlog panel.

skip-pivotal-target3.jpg

In the description of the story will be what ever you have in the Message of the "Notify target' of the automation or trigger. 

skip-pivotal-target4.jpg

Comments

User photo
Jseekamp

Couldn't get this to work if my Pivotal Project had ssl turned on. Turned ssl off and everything worked as expected.

January 04, 2010 20:11
User photo
Morten Primdahl
Zendesk

Thanks for the heads up. This has been fixed.

January 13, 2010 18:23
User photo
pierre shiraziefard

Cannot make the target to fire... Getting error as per attachment. What do I need try next?

Thanks.

Pierre

July 12, 2010 12:40
User photo
Mark

This used to work great.  A bout 6 weeks ago we used it all the time.

But lately it stopped working.    Is this related to the new ZenDesk layout maybe?

April 10, 2011 08:21
User photo
Mark

oh and I can't seem to find the settings anymore to re-set this up.   How can I set this up using the new ZenDesk layout?

April 10, 2011 08:22
User photo
Morten Primdahl
Zendesk

Hi Mark,

We use it all the time, send us a bug report and we will look into your specific issue. The config moved to "Settings > Extensions > Widgets".

Morten

April 11, 2011 09:17
User photo
Mark

Looks like it was my fault.  I broke the configuration, but didn't noticed until much later.  Thanks for a great app.  It's working fine now.

April 11, 2011 09:41
User photo
Marie Bromberg

The target link for me (starter package) isn't under Account, it's actually under Settings > Extensions > Targets Tab

April 21, 2011 08:46
User photo
Eric Shen
Zendesk

Hi Marie,

Thanks for pointing this out.  We have corrected the article.

Regards,

Eric Shen

April 21, 2011 09:05
User photo
Florin Voinescu

Is there a way to turn forum posts into PT stories?

I'm trying to encourage our clients to us an open communication when it comes to sharing ideas and issues but that makes more work for me when I'm trying to turn that information into a trackable item.

How do you guys do it? Forum -> Ticket -> PT?

Thanks!

June 26, 2011 04:24
User photo
Matt Katsaros
Mine is working, but working too well! It submits the ticket into pivotal about 10 times. Help please!
August 22, 2011 11:03
User photo
Joy Carletti
Zendesk

@Matt, could you submit further details in a ticket to support@zendesk.com?  We would like to look into this further.  Thanks! 

August 22, 2011 11:15
User photo
Adam Goolie Gould
lytro

Florin, I have the same question!  I figgure it's gotta get forum>ticket>pt cuz you can't fire a target from a forum post.

January 16, 2012 12:57
User photo
Stella Su

We have the same problem, it submits the ticket into pivotal 30 times. Help please. 

Thank you!

Stella

January 28, 2013 16:33
User photo
Jennifer Rowe
Zendesk

Sorry to hear that Stella! Can you also send a ticket to support@zendesk.com so we can take a closer look! Thanks!

January 28, 2013 17:09