I need your help in convincing Zendesk to make SEO a priority with the new Help Center. All of us spend a lot of time and money writing content. Unfortunately, the content you're writing in the Help Center isn't being registered as well as it should with Google, Bing, etc. I know there are a lot of feature requests but I urge you to consider SEO as the "foundation" to the Help Center - a strong SEO foundation is a requirement of all Content Management Systems (CMS).
We met with Zendesk's SEO expert, Teyler, yesterday and have outlined 3 things that would immediately improve SEO (in order of priority):
- SITEMAPS - Sitemaps ensures the content you are writing in the Help Center is indexed and searched by Google, Bing, etc. What are we all doing if our content can't be found?
READ MORE: https://support.zendesk.com/entries/20016122
2. 301 REDIRECTS - For anyone who has a privately mapped domain, such as support.my-business.com, Zendesk needs to set up 301 Redirects to the "legitimate copy" of your content. 301 Redirects instructs the search engines where to go for the "official copy" of your Help Center content, because if you're using a mapped domain, your content will be located at support.my-business.com AND my-business.zendesk.com. Google considers this "duplicate content" and will ding your SEO for it.
READ MORE: https://support.zendesk.com/entries/38130893-301-Redirects-for-Help-Center-Content
3. CANONICAL URLS - Canonical URLs are used to tell Google and Bing where to find the "official copy" of your content. This is similar to 301 Redirects but a little different. Again, this only affects people who are using mapped domains (e.g. support.my-business.com).
I know there's a bunch of other SEO improvements that could be made to the Help Center such as allowing us to:
- modify Page Titles
- enter in a Meta Tag Descriptions
- enter in Meta Tag Keywords
While these points are also important, at this juncture we all desperately need Items 1-3 first.
Please join me in helping to convince Zendesk of the importance of SEO. Thank you.
P.S. If you aren't using a host mapped domain with Zendesk you might want to consider it! You're spending a lot of time and money on our help systems and should get the "value" from it with Google and Bing.