Allow your customers to choose between waiting on hold in a queue and requesting a callback. When customers select callback, their places are held in the queue and their call is automatically returned when an agent is available to talk with them.
Also note that callback is not available as an action in IVR. For more information, see Route incoming calls with IVR.
Understanding the end-user experience
- Press 1 to request a callback on the number they've called in from
- Press 2 to request a callback to a different number. The alternative number must be in E.164 format, i.e. [+ or 00][country code][subscriber number including area code]. If it's not in the correct format, the customer will be prompted to enter again.
- Press 3 to return to the queue on hold
If the customer requests a callback, we'll also play a second Callback confirmation greeting confirming their choice and end the call while keeping the customer in the queue.
Understanding the agent experience
Agents click Call to call the customer back or Decline from the call console to send the call back to the queue.
If your maximum queue wait time limit is reached, and a callback request is in queue, the callback will still be actioned. If it's not actioned within 60 minutes of it being requested, it will be removed from the queue and a Zendesk Support ticket is created for the agent to action later.
Talk also creates a Zendesk Support ticket when the agent initiates the callback. If the customer doesn't pick up, the system doesn't try to call them back again. An internal comment is automatically added to the ticket indicating that the callback request was attempted
Reporting on callback activity
Use the Talk Advanced dashboard to analyze your account's callback from queue activity using the metrics Callbacks in queue, Total callback calls, and Average callback wait time. For more details, see Analyzing call activity with the Talk Advanced dashboard and Zendesk Talk dashboard metrics reference.
Callback is configured for each individual number.
To enable callback from queue
- Click the Admin icon () in the sidebar, then select Channels > Talk.
- Select the Numbers tab.
- Click on the number you want to edit.
- Select the Callback tab.
- Toggle the Callback field to enabled.
- In the Callback greeting field, select a greeting from the dropdown. This is the greeting that plays informing callers that they can press 2 to request a callback.
- In the Callback confirmation greeting field, select a greeting from the dropdown. This is the greeting that plays after callers press 1 to confirm they've selected callback.
- Click Save changes.