The latest version of bulk sync is a complete redesign of the previous sync mechanism, it improves the overall functionality and usability in the following areas:
- Increase sync limit from 20k records to 250k records as well as speed (Total number of record eligible for sync in both Salesforce and Zendesk Support )
- Lightning style user interface
- Ability to manually match to overcome data quality issues
- Multiple customizable matching criteria (up to 3)
- User defined sync direction
- New “Import Only” mode enables customizing sync behavior
- Users can review and resolve errors or ignore them
- Downloadable error report
- Contacts and Leads syncing are now separate operations
This article discusses the following topics:
Requirements and limitations
- Sync updates all matched records every time it runs.
- Manual match screen is limited to 10000 records.
- Up to 250,000 records can be synced in a single run.
- This new version of the bulk sync uses the Zendesk Support external_id field. Make sure this field isn't already used by other apps (i.e. SSO)
Understanding how bulk sync works
There are three main steps in this version of bulk sync.
First, the program uses the criteria set in User and Organization Sync settings -- specifically, the Sync Auto Match Settings -- to attempt to auto match records between Salesforce and Zendesk Support. As soon as a match is found, the program updates records based on source of truth and field mapping settings.
For records that exist in Zendesk Support but do not have an unique match in Salesforce, users will be able to manually match them. Manual match allows user to search across Salesforce databases and identify matches manually. Manually matched records will be updated in Salesforce and Zendesk Support, for any unmatched records that exist in Zendesk Support but not in Salesforce user can choose to create them in Salesforce as new records.
For records that exist in Salesforce but do not have an unique match in Zendesk Support, users can choose to create them in Zendesk Support as new records.
Creating a sync job
To begin using the bulk sync feature, open the Job Control Panel in Salesforce:
Use the Job Control Panel to determine the following bulk sync settings:
- Sync direction. Use the drop-down menu contains your options for the direction the sync is performed:
- Zendesk to Salesforce. This will only sync Zendesk Support records to Salesforce. Any record that exists in Zendesk Support but not in Salesforce will potentially be matched/created in Salesforce. Any record that exists in Salesforce but not in Zendesk Support will not be matched/created in Zendesk Support.
- Both: This is a bi-directional sync. All records between Zendesk Support and Salesforce will be matched and updated according to field mappings and other sync settings.
- Data to sync. Select what type of data you want considered when performing a bulk sync:
Note: It is important that Organizations and Accounts are synced first to ensure that contacts are associated with the correct Accounts.
- Account and Organization: This syncs Salesforce accounts with Zendesk Support organizations.
- Contact and User: This syncs Salesforce contacts with Zendesk Support users.
- Lead and User: This syncs Salesforce leads with Zendesk Support users.
- Sync Mode. Select the type of sync to perform:
- Full Sync: This performs a full sync based on the mapping logic and field mapping criteria. It will create/update records in Salesforce and Zendesk Support.
- Import Only: This only imports Zendesk Support data to Salesforce so users can perform customized logic on the data. No records in Salesforce nor Zendesk will be created/updated. See Import-only mode for more information.
- In the case of conflicting values, use values from. Use the radio buttons to select which source -- Zendesk Support or Salesforce -- will be used when the sync detects conflicting values:
- Zendesk Support: Treat Zendesk Support as the source of truth for conflicting values. In the case of conflict, the Zendesk Support value will replace the Salesforce value.
- Salesforce: Treat Salesforce as the source of truth when conflicting values. In the case of conflict, the Salesforce value will replace the Zendesk value.
- Create new records in. Use the radio buttons to select where new records can be created when a sync detects them:
- Zendesk Support only: New records will only be created in Zendesk Support.
- Salesforce only: New records will only be created in Salesforce.
- Both: New records will be created in both Salesforce and Zendesk Support.
- None: No records will be created.
- Control Links. Click these links to view the following:
- Start Sync. Click to begin the bulk sync.
The Auto Matching screen
Bulk Sync processes all Zendesk records and tries to auto match Zendesk records with Salesforce records using the matching criteria set in the bulk sync Auto Match settings. On Auto Match, bulk sync will also update/sync fields defined in “Field Mapping” based on “Source of truth”. If duplicate records are found, the record will not be matched and duplicate records will be shown in manual match.
When you click the Start Sync button, the following screen appears while the sync is being performed:
Use this screen to evaluate the following information and control the sync as it progresses:
- Sync progress indicator. Indicates the current step the bulk sync process is performing.
- Overall progress bar . Indicates total number of records to be processed in the current step, and total number of records processed so far.
- Sync count. Indicates total number of records successfully matched/synced in the current step.
- Cancel. Cancels the current sync job.
The Manual Matching screen
Records that exist in Zendesk Support, but cannot be auto matched using the criteria used in the bulk sync settings, can be manually matched to Salesforce records. Manual match only supports up to 10,000 records.
For records that are matched in the manual match screen, Zendesk ID and fields defined in field mapping will be synced to a matched Salesforce record. For records not matched in the manual match screen, if “Create record in” setting in the job settings is “Both” or “Salesforce only”, Zendesk records will be created in Salesforce and synced.
If there are more than 10,000 records to be manually matched, or if you are trying to create all Zendesk Support records in Salesforce, click “Skip this step” and all records will be created in Salesforce if “Create record in” setting in the job settings is “Both” or “Salesforce only”.
Use this screen to set the following manual matching elements:
- Start Manual Match. Click to start the manual match process
- Skip this step. Click to skip manual match, records will be created in Salesforce if “Create new record in” option (set in the Job Control Panel as described above) is set to be “Both” or “Salesforce only”.
For each of the records listed in manual match table, search Salesforce database for eligible records by putting search terms or Salesforce record ID in (4)”Record Lookup”. Select a record from the drop down list of eligible records.
Click “Save Progress” if you want to come back and continue the manual match process at a different time, or click “Save and continue” if you have finished manual match and want to proceed to next step.
Once you proceed, any record matched will be updated in Salesforce. Any record not matched will be created/synced in Salesforce as a new record, if the “Create record in” setting in job settings is set to be “Both” or “Salesforce only”.
Use this screen for the following:
- Show/Hide Columns. Use the drop-down menu to show or hide specific columns. This data comes from Zendesk Support.
- Number of items shown. Enter the number of items you want shown per page.
- Search bar. Enter a term to search across all records.
- Record Lookup. Look up records in Salesforce by entering a search term or Salesforce record ID.
- Delete Match Click to remove the current matched record.
- Page control. Click to move between pages.
- Save Progress. Click to save the current matching. You will be able to come back and continue the matching process. Clicking this prevents bulk sync from proceeding to the next step.
- Save and continue. Click to save the current matching and bulk sync will continue to next step, you will not be able to come back and manual match again.
The Create in Zendesk screen
After auto-matching and manual matching is complete, records that exist in Salesforce, but not in Zendesk Support, will be created in Zendesk (records need to meet the filtering criteria). However, if the “Create record in” setting in job settings is set to “None” or “Salesforce only”, no record will be created in Zendesk.
Use this screen to monitor the following information:
- Overall progress bar. Indicates current progress of creating records in Zendesk Support.
- Sync count. Indicates total number of records successfully created in Zendesk Support.
The Job Summary screen
When the sync job is complete, you see the Job Summary screen:
Use this screen to evaluate the following information:
- Number of records synced to Zendesk Support. Shows the total records Auto Matched + Created in Salesforce + Updated in Salesforce
- Number of records synced to Salesforce. Shows the total records Auto Matched + Updated in Salesforce + Created in Zendesk
Checking field mapping and record filter settings
Before you set up a sync job, you need to make sure your field mapping and record filter settings are up-to-date.
To check these settings, open the User and Organization Sync Settings screen in Zendesk Support for Salesforce, via the main Settings page:
Use this screen to check (and update, if necessary) the following settings:
- Filters. Define Record Type Filters / Pick List Filters for sync. Only records matching the filtering criteria determined here will be included in the bulk sync process.
- Tag Mapping. Mapping between Salesforce fields and Zendesk Support standard fields.
- Field Mapping. Define field mapping between Salesforce fields and Zendesk Support fields. Fields defined in this section will be synced/updated by the bulk sync process. Only fields defined here will be updated/synced. Only fields defined here will be imported to Salesforce in Import Only Mode.
- Bulk Sync Auto Match Setting. Define matching criteria, you can configure up to three criteria here. The criteria will be used to auto match records between Salesforce and Zendesk Support. Two records are considered to be “matched” if any of the criteria is met.
The History screen
You can access this screen at many points during the syncing process by clicking History at the bottom of the page.
Use this screen to evaluate the following information:
- History. Shows history of previous bulk sync job.
- Error report. In case of sync error, download the error report (.csv format) by clicking download button.
Import-only mode is designed to allow third parties to override the default behavior of our Sync. This is useful when customization is required. In this mode, the integration will fetch relevant data from Zendesk Support and store it in a staging area in Zendesk for custom processing. No records will be updated or created in this mode.
You can opt for Import-only mode when creating your sync job. When selected, Import Only mode imports Zendesk data (Organization / User) into Salesforce and stores it in the object “Zendesk__Zendesk_Bulk_Sync_Response__c”. Developers will be able to process these records using Customized logic using Salesforce Workflow, APEX Class, APEX Trigger, etc.
Only custom fields defined in Field Mapping will be imported to Salesforce.
Field labels start with “ZD_Org” indicates this is a Organization field in Zendesk Support.
Field labels start with “ZD_User” indicates this is a User field in Zendesk Support