The Zendesk Support bulk sync feature allows you to quickly sync up to 250,000 records between your Zendesk Support and Salesforce accounts. This is especially useful as an initial sync before using ongoing sync.
- Manually match records to overcome data quality issues.
- Customize matching criteria and syncing behavior.
- Define the sync direction.
- Review and resolve errors.
- View and download error reports.
This article discusses the following topics:
Requirements and limitations
- Sync updates all matched records every time it runs.
- Manual match screen is limited to 10,000 records.
- Up to 250,000 records can be synced in a single run.
- Bi-directional sync is supported.
- Bulk sync uses the Zendesk Support external_id field. Make sure this field isn't already used by other apps (i.e., SSO).
- You must have access to the Salesforce API.
Understanding how bulk sync works
There are three main steps in the bulk sync process.
First, the program uses the criteria set in User and Organization Sync settings -- specifically, the Sync Auto Match Settings -- to attempt to automatically match records between Salesforce and Zendesk Support. As soon as a match is found, the program updates records based on source of truth and field mapping settings. Users can set up to three criteria (or a logical condition is used when more than one criteria is set).
For records that exist in Zendesk Support but do not have an unique match in Salesforce, users will be able to manually match them. Manual match allows user to search across Salesforce databases and identify matches manually. Manually matched records will be updated in Salesforce and Zendesk Support, for any unmatched records that exist in Zendesk Support but not in Salesforce user can choose to create them in Salesforce as new records.
For records that exist in Salesforce but do not have an unique match in Zendesk Support, users can choose to create them in Zendesk Support as new records.
Checking field mapping and record filter settings
- Navigate to Zendesk for Salesforce > Global Settings > User and Organization Sync Settings, and click Go to Mappings.
- Under Select a pairing to modify its sync settings, in Sync Pairing drop-down menu, select Contacts - Users or Leads - Users.
- Under Filters, set the following sync filter condition:
- Field : Email
- Operator: is not blank
Creating a sync job
To begin using the bulk sync feature, open the Job Control Panel in Salesforce:
Use the Job Control Panel to determine the following bulk sync settings:
Sync direction. The drop-down menu contains your options for the direction the sync is performed:
- Zendesk to Salesforce. This only syncs Zendesk Support records to Salesforce. Any record that exists in Zendesk Support but not in Salesforce will potentially be matched or created in Salesforce. Any record that exists in Salesforce but not in Zendesk Support is not be matched/created in Zendesk Support.
- Both: A bi-directional sync. All records between Zendesk Support and Salesforce are matched and updated according to field mappings and other sync settings.
Data to sync. Select what type of data you want considered when performing a bulk sync.
Note: It is important that Organizations and Accounts are synced first to ensure that contacts are associated with the correct Accounts.
- Account and Organization: Syncs Salesforce accounts with Zendesk Support organizations.
- Contact and User: Syncs Salesforce contacts with Zendesk Support users.
- Lead and User: Syncs Salesforce leads with Zendesk Support users.
Sync Mode. Select the type of sync to perform:
- Full Sync: This performs a full sync based on the mapping logic and field mapping criteria. It will create or update records in Salesforce and Zendesk Support.
- Import Only: This only imports Zendesk Support data to Salesforce so users can perform customized logic on the data. No records in Salesforce or Zendesk are created or updated. See Import-only mode for more information.
In the case of conflicting values, use values from. The radio buttons selects the source -- Zendesk Support or Salesforce -- to be used when the sync detects conflicting values:
- Zendesk Support: Treat Zendesk Support as the source of truth for conflicting values. In the case of conflict, the Zendesk Support value replaces the Salesforce value.
- Salesforce: Treat Salesforce as the source of truth when there are conflicting values. In the case of conflict, the Salesforce value replaces the Zendesk value.
Create new records in. the radio buttons selects where new records can be created when a sync detects them:
- Zendesk Support only: New records are only created in Zendesk Support.
- Salesforce only: New records are only created in Salesforce.
- Both: New records are created in Salesforce and Zendesk Support.
- None: No records are created.
- Control Links. Click these links to view the following:
- Start Sync. Click to begin the bulk sync.
The Auto Matching screen
Bulk Sync processes all Zendesk records and tries to auto match Zendesk records with Salesforce records using the matching criteria set in the bulk sync Auto Match settings. On Auto Match, bulk sync also updates or syncs fields defined in “Field Mapping” based on “Source of truth”. If duplicate records are found, the record is not matched and duplicate records are shown in manual match.
When you click Start Sync, the following screen appears while the sync is being performed:
Use this screen to evaluate the following information and control the sync as it progresses:
- Sync progress indicator: Indicates the current step the bulk sync process is performing.
- Overall progress bar: Indicates total number of records to be processed in the current step, and total number of records processed so far.
- Sync count: Indicates total number of records successfully matched or synced in the current step.
- Cancel: Cancels the current sync job.
The Manual Matching screen
Existing records in Zendesk Support that cannot be auto-matched using the bulk sync settings criteria can be manually matched to Salesforce records. A manual match only supports up to 10,000 records.
For records that are matched in the manual match screen, the Zendesk ID and fields defined in field mapping are synced to a matched Salesforce record. For records not matched in the manual match screen, if “Create record in” setting in the job settings is “Both” or “Salesforce only”, Zendesk records are created in Salesforce and synced.
If there are more than 10,000 records to be manually matched, or if you are trying to create all Zendesk Support records in Salesforce, click Skip this step and all records will be created in Salesforce if “Create record in” setting in the job settings is “Both” or “Salesforce only”.
Use this screen to set the following manual matching elements:
- Start Manual Match: Click to start the manual match process.
- Skip this step: Click to skip manual match, records are created in Salesforce if “Create new record in” option (set in the Job Control Panel as described above) is set to be “Both” or “Salesforce only”.
For each of the records listed in manual match table, search Salesforce database for eligible records by putting search terms or Salesforce record ID in (4)”Record Lookup”. Select a record from the drop down list of eligible records.
Click “Save Progress” if you want to come back and continue the manual match process at a different time, or click “Save and continue” if you have finished manual match and want to proceed to next step.
Once you proceed, any record matched will be updated in Salesforce. Any record not matched will be created/synced in Salesforce as a new record, if the “Create record in” setting in job settings is set to be “Both” or “Salesforce only”.
Use this screen for the following:
- Show/Hide Columns: Use the drop-down menu to show or hide specific columns. This data comes from Zendesk Support.
- Number of items shown: Enter the number of items you want shown per page.
- Search bar: Enter a term to search across all records.
- Record Lookup: Look up records in Salesforce by entering a search term or Salesforce record ID.
- Delete Match: Click to remove the current matched record.
- Page control: Click to move between pages.
- Save Progress: Click to save the current matching. You can come back and continue the matching process. This action prevents bulk sync from proceeding to the next step.
- Save and continue: Click to save the current matching and bulk sync continues to the next step. You cannot come back to manual match again.
The Create in Zendesk screen
After auto-matching and manual matching is complete, records that exist in Salesforce, but not in Zendesk Support, are created in Zendesk (records need to meet the filtering criteria). However, if the “Create record in” setting in job settings is set to “None” or “Salesforce only”, no record is created in Zendesk.
Use this screen to monitor the following information.
- Overall progress bar: Indicates current progress of creating records in Zendesk Support.
- Sync count: Indicates total number of records successfully created in Zendesk Support.
The Job Summary screen
When the sync job is complete, the Complete Sync screen is displayed.
Use this screen to evaluate the following information:
- Number of records synced to Zendesk Support: Shows the total records Auto Matched + Created in Salesforce + Updated in Salesforce.
- Number of records synced to Salesforce: Shows the total records Auto Matched + Updated in Salesforce + Created in Zendesk.
The History screen
You can access this screen at many points during the syncing process by clicking History at the bottom of the page.
Use this screen to evaluate the following information:
- History: Shows history of previous bulk sync job.
- Error report: In case of sync error, download the error report (.csv format) by clicking Download.
The Import-only mode is designed to allow third parties to override the default behavior of our Sync. This is useful when customization is required. In this mode, the integration fetches relevant data from Zendesk Support and stores it in a staging area in Zendesk for custom processing. No records are updated or created in this mode.
You can opt for Import-only mode when creating your sync job. When selected, Import Only mode imports Zendesk data (Organization / User) into Salesforce and stores it in the object “Zendesk__Zendesk_Bulk_Sync_Response__c”. Developers can process these records using customized logic using Salesforce Workflow, APEX Class, APEX Trigger, etc.
- Only custom fields defined in Field Mapping are imported to Salesforce.
- Field labels start with “ZD_Org” indicates this is a Organization field in Zendesk Support.
- Field labels start with “ZD_User” indicates this is a User field in Zendesk Support