As processes change, there may be instances where you will need to reassign agents, update groups according to business processes, or completely set up a new administration within your Zendesk. This article should help you avoid bigger conflicts that may come your way when deleting groups.
You should take the following steps to delete groups cleanly:
Reassigning agents to a new group
Before proceeding in deleting groups, make sure that the soon to be deleted group is not the default group for any agent. If a group is assigned as a default group to a specific agent, you will not be able to delete the group.
To assign an agent to a different default group, see the instructions in Changing the default group.
Reassigning tickets to a new group
Existing agents who are affected by the removal of groups should reassign tickets that they're currently working on before deleting the group. In special occasions where agents aren't able to, administrators of the account can reassign the tickets.
To reassign tickets to a new group
- Click the Admin icon () in the sidebar, then select Manage > People.
- Under the search box, click groups.
- Select the group you would like to delete.
- Click the Tickets tab.
- Click the checkbox next to each ticket you want to reassign, or click the checkbox at the top of the ticket list to select all tickets. Tickets with a Closed status cannot be selected.
- In the section Update selected tickets, select a new group for the tickets.
- Click Submit.
You could also have agents reassign their own tickets one-by-one (see Manually reassigning a ticket to yourself, another agent, or a group) or update their tickets in bulk (see Bulk updating tickets).
Deleting the group
You can now proceed in deleting a group, as described in Editing and deleting groups.