In Insights, you can use the drill-in feature to dig deeper into your Insights data. Drill in is available on some Insights pre-built dashboard reports and can be added to your own custom Insights reports. This article will discuss how to use and configure drill-in functionality.
About drill in
Drill in enables you to view more granular details about a specific data point. Drill in is available on some Insights pre-built dashboards, and you can add drill in to your own custom reports. When drill-in functionality is added, you can click on any data point to slice the data point's results by an attribute not currently included in your report. Any reports on the Insights pre-built dashboards where drill in is available will show the drill-in icon () on the bottom right corner.
For example, in the Tickets created year over year report on the Tickets dashboard, drill-in functionality is not currently available. However, when customizing this report, you can add a drill-in step to view the number of tickets created for each day in a selected month. In the report below, the attribute Date (Ticket Created) has been added as the drill-in step, so if you were to select the Tickets Created This Year in September data point, you would see a new chart resembling the image below.
As you can see, drilled-in results are first filtered by the attribute value you selected, then sliced by an additional attribute to provide more information. This additional attribute is selected when adding your metrics or customizing your reports The following section in this article will discuss how to set your drill-in path.
Setting up drill-in for your custom Insights reports
You can add drill-in functionality to your own custom reports by creating a drill-in path. The drill-in path will set the attribute that slices your data point. You can add a drill-in path locally, so it only applies to the individual dashboard's report, or globally so the drill-in path is applied to the report no matter the dashboard.
If you have not created a custom report before, see Building custom reports in Insights (Professional and Enterprise) for information.
- Click Create Report in the Reports tab of GoodData.
- In the What panel, select the metrics you would like to use for your report.
- In the Detail panel, click the Add Drill Step button underneath Drill In Settings.
- Select an attribute. This will be the attribute used to slice your drilled-in results. It will not affect the attribute you select in the How panel.
- Click Select.
- Finish adding your metrics and attributes, then click Done.
To add drill in for a report across all dashboards
- Click the Reports tab.
- Select the report you want to add drill-in functionality for.
Note: You must have permission to edit the report to add drill-in functionality.
- To the right of the chart icon options, click the Show configuration link.
- Underneath Drill in, click Drill in Settings. You will see a list of all of your metrics used on the report.
- Click Add Drill Step under the metric you want to add drill-in path for.
- Select an attribute. This will be the attribute used to slice your drilled-in results. It will not affect the attribute selected in the How panel.
- Click Select.
- Click Save to update your report.