I’m very excited to announce the release of a new theme editing and authoring experience in Zendesk Guide. These new customization options overhaul the Guide theming infrastructure and introduce a streamlined user interface, improved theme editor, and many new developer-focused features.
For Guide account admins, you can now duplicate or create themes easily. This gives you the ability to stage and preview changes safely and test how things will work before you make them public.
Here are more details about the theming improvements for administrators and developers.
- Themes page - New overview screen shows all of your themes and enables you to easily manage multiple themes, stage changes, and publish changes live when they are ready.
- Preview - Faster, better preview experience for themes.
- Code editor - Improved code editor allows for opening multiple files in tabs and has an integrated preview, search, and more to feel more like a full development experience.
- Create or duplicate a theme - Easily work with a number of unpublished themes in Guide, so that you can build, preview, and update themes without fear of accidentally publishing or losing work.
- Updated template helpers and objects -
settingsobject is a custom object defined in the theme's manifest.json file.
You can learn more about how to use all of these features in our Guide theming documentation.
Get the new theming features
Customers who enabled Guide on or after November 14, 2017 will have access to these theme customization options.
Customers who enabled Guide before November 14, 2017 need to migrate to the new theming experience.
To upgrade your theming experience:
- In Guide, click the Customize design icon () in the sidebar.
- Click the Upgrade now button.
- If you have multiple themes, select the themes you want to migrate.
- Click Migrate your themes.
If you have multiple brands, you’ll need to complete the upgrade for each Help Center.