There are two options available for organizing your triggers: reordering and sorting. Reordering will alter the order your triggers are fired. Sorting will not change the order your triggers are fired, only how you view your list of triggers.
This article contains the following sections:
You can reorder your list of triggers to designate the order they're fired in. Trigger order is important. Remember that all of your active triggers run each time a ticket is created or updated and actions in one trigger can affect the actions in another (see Understanding when triggers run and fire).
- Changes or updates to ticket values. Any triggers that change ticket values, such as status, priority, or any other field value, should be listed first. These triggers can impact ticket assignments and notifications.
- Ticket assignments. Triggers that assign tickets to groups or individual agents should be listed after triggers that update any other value on the ticket.
- Notifications. Triggers that send notifications to users or targets should be listed last. This is because you want the system to make any necessary changes before you send out email notifications.
Updating the order of your triggers is not reflected as a change in the revision history. It is, however, reflected in the last updated timestamp.
To reorder triggers using drag-and-drop
- On the Triggers page, click Edit order.
You'll see a list of triggers in the default sort order.
- Select the triggers you want to move.
- Click and hold the drag-and-drop handle () for the triggers you want to move.
- Drag the triggers into position and release the handle. Repeat as needed to reorder your triggers list.
- Click Save.
If you receive an error when you reorder your triggers, see Trigger order wasn't updated.
Sorting the list of triggers
By default, triggers are sorted by position (the order in which they fire). You can change the sort order by clicking the column headings that appear on the triggers page. You can sort based on a number of properties, including:
- Last updated
- Date created
- Triggered (last 1 hour, last 24 hours, last 7 days, or last 30 days).
Sorting your triggers will not affect the order your triggers are fired. If you want to select a new order to fire your trigger, follow the steps in Reordering triggers.
- Click the column heading you want to use to sort your triggers.
The triggers are reorganized based on that property.
- Click the column heading again to change from ascending to descending order.
- To return to the default sort order, click the Undo sort button.
- You can increase your sorting options by changing some of the column headings that appear in the list. See Showing and hiding columns.
Showing and hiding columns
You can update the triggers page to change the columns that appear in the triggers list. You can't change the default column (Name), but you can change other columns.
To show or hide columns
- On the Triggers page, click the Options menu icon ( ) to the right of the column headings.
A Show columns menu appears.
- Select the columns you want to include. Choices are: Description, Last updated, Date created, and Triggered (last 1 hour, last 24 hours, last 7 days, last 30 days).
The columns with a checkmark will appear on the Triggers page.