Below are common issues with our legacy JIRA integration and how to resolve them. Due to JIRA's high configurability, there are a lot of JIRA configuration issues that can cause the integration to fail. As we add more information to this entry over time, hopefully it should help us uncover most of the known issues.
Assignee does not display in the JIRA widget
The assignee field in the JIRA widget does not populate with users after a project has been selected in the dropdown. Using Firebug, you can find the following error when the widget attempts to load the list of assignees:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
/envelope/" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
<detail><faultData xsi:type="ns1:NullPointerException" xmlns:ns1="http
If you're running JIRA 4.3+, this is due to a change in JIRA API that requires a new version of the plugin. Please see our JIRA getting started guide to download version 184.108.40.206 of the plugin.
If you're running JIRA 3.12 and version 1.3.1 of the plugin, due to a missing plugin definition in this version of the plugin, it will not work on 3.12 but will on later version of JIRA. As of plugin version 1.4+, the plugin was backported to work on JIRA 3.12. If clients encounter this issue, they should install plugin version 220.127.116.11 or later.
After migrating to JIRA Studio on Google Apps, widget login fails
The widget throws an error "Failed" when attempting to load on a ticket detail page. The user has recently migrated their JIRA Studio installation to SSO with Google Apps. Example: https://support.zendesk.com/tickets/40577
- First make sure that the username in the JIRA widget configuration now only uses the user part of the username (e.g. 'zendesk' vs 'firstname.lastname@example.org')
- If this still fails to login, the user may not have an internal JIRA password set. To do so, they should do the following:
1. Go to the JIRA User Browser at http://<subdomain>.jira.com/secure/admin/user/UserBrowser.jspa.
2. Click on the user by selecting their hyperlinked name in "Username" column.
3. Click "Set Password"
4. Enter password and click "Update".
5. Ensure that this password exists in the Zendesk JIRA widget configuration. The login should now work.
Error: Failed to retrieve JIRA issue key: (java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "ZendeskID")
When submitting a new JIRA issue from the widget, the error "Failed to retrieve JIRA issue key. (java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "ZendeskID")" appears.
The user has entered "ZendeskID" as the JIRA custom field configuration instead of its numerical ID (e.g. 10000). A better solution than documenting this would be programmatically preventing non-numerical values to be set in the custom field configuration.