Note: This article is relevant for the setup of the Harvest integration in the classic Zendesk interface. For instructions on how to set up the Harvest app in the new Zendesk, please refer to the article Tracking support time with Harvest (new Zendesk).
Welcome to the new and improved Harvest for Zendesk integration. The updated widget includes the following improvements:
- The Harvest widget now utilizes a shared session with Harvest. What does this mean? Once you log into Harvest via the widget or the site, you are logged into both systems so you no longer have to log in twice!
- Timer functionality has been added. You now have access to a start/stop timer to track the amount of time you are spending on a ticket. Alternatively, you can still enter time by duration as before.
- The project and task for a proposed new timer are picked intelligently. We look for the words "Zendesk" and "Support" in projects and tasks, but you can configure this to match your most frequently used projects or tasks.
- Quick link to the Harvest timesheet for the logged in Harvest user.
- Time logged against a ticket by any Harvest user is displayed in the widget.
- In Harvest timesheets, a quick link back to the Zendesk ticket is provided.
- "Notes" in the Harvest for Zendesk widget can be automatically populated with default information. It can even be populated with Zendesk placeholders.
To add the updated widget for use, please follow the steps below. If you already have the Harvest widget configured, we will automatically update it to latest version.
Locating the widget directory
- Navigate to your "Settings" tab and click on "Extensions".
- Click on the "add widget" button.
- Locate the "Harvest" widget listing and click to configure.
Now you should see the below configuration screen for the Harvest for Zendesk widget. You will need to fill out the following items:
- Title: Enter the name for the widget here. We recommend just naming it "Harvest", but the naming of it is up to you.
- Available for: Select who should be able to use this widget. You will most likely want to select "People who have logged in and are agents".
- Subdomain: Enter your Harvest subdomain here (ie if your subdomain is timetracking.harvestapp.com, then you will want to enter timetracking here).
- Magic Words: Enter the terms here that you would want to automatically match in your project/task lists in Harvest. If a match is found, the drop lists for project/task in the Harvest for Zendesk widget will automatically default to the Magic Word value. You can even use Zendesk placeholders here if you want to dynamically match a default project/task.
- Default Note: Enter the default note that you would like to be attached to a time entry in Harvest. Zendesk placeholders are available here as well.
- Your new "Harvest" widget should now appear in the list of "Active widgets" and can be added to your ticket pages within Zendesk.
Adding the Harvest widget to your Tickets page
- To add your new Harvest for Zendesk widget to the tickets page, first navigate to a ticket. Then proceed to click on the "Edit widgets on the this page" link.
- Select the "Harvest" widget from the list.
- The new widget should now appear in the widgets panel on the right side of the ticketing screen.
- Clicking on the "Connect to Harvest" link will take you to an authentication page where you can enter your Harvest credentials. Enter your email and password here and you will be logged into your Harvest account. If you flip over to Harvest, you will not have to log in again. To log out of the widget, log out of your Harvest account directly from Harvest.
- Once authenticated, you will now have access to all of your projects and tasks in Harvest. The "Notes" will automatically be populated with the Zendesk ticket number as well as the subject line of the ticket (or any additional information you may have configured in "default note" field from the configuration page). You can either choose to start a timer when you begin work on a ticket, or you can manually add a time duration by clicking on the "Add duration" link. When a time entry is added, a list of time entries attached to a ticket and who entered the time is displayed at the bottom of the widget as well.
- If you want to see all of your timesheet entries, you can click on the Harvest logo in the widget and you will be brought to the Harvest interface to review your time entries for the selected project and task.