Tracking support time with Harvest
Harvest is a web application that provides easy-to-use time tracking and reporting services. You can integrate Harvest in Zendesk to track the time your support team spends on tickets. Agents can record their time in Zendesk and support managers can analyze the results in Harvest.
You need a Harvest account to use this feature. A free 30-day trial is available. See the Harvest website .
Topics covered in this article:
Integrating Harvest in Zendesk
Before starting, make sure you're logged in as an administrator.
- Click Manage > Apps > Browse , and locate the Harvest application. Look for a big letter H on an orange background.
- Hover the mouse over the Harvest icon to reveal the Install button, and then click it.
- Configure the following items:
- URL: The URL to your Harvest application. Example: https://mysubdomain.harvestapp.com.
- Default Note: The default note you want to add to all time entries. Dynamic content placeholders aren't supported.
Title: Name of the application
- After installing, reload the Zendesk page for the changes to take effect.
Deciding what activity to track
Harvest is designed to track time spent on project tasks. However, you have a lot of flexibility in defining the projects and tasks. This section gives some examples for support environments. See the Harvest Help for more information on creating projects and tasks in Harvest.
Track time by issue
You can track the time you spend on different issues. Example:
Project: Support issues
- Task: Login
- Task: Invoicing
- Task: Usability
Track time by organization
If the same agents provide support to several important clients or organizations, you can track the time spent supporting each organization. Example:
Project: Supported organizations
- Task: BigLawFirm LLP
- Task: BigBank Corp
- Task: BigCity.gov
Track time by support group
If you defined groups of agents for your Zendesk, you can track the time each group spends working on tickets. Example:
Project: Support groups
- Task: Level 1 - EMEA
- Task: Level 1 - APAC
- Task: Level 1 - AMER
- Task: Level 2 - All regions
Logging time in Zendesk
Agents can log their time with the Harvest app on the ticket page.
To log time
- With a ticket open in Zendesk, display the Harvest app in the sidebar by clicking the Apps button on the upper-right side of the ticket page.
- If not already done, connect to your Harvest site. Enter the email and password you use to log in to your Harvest account. You only have to do this once if you don't close or reload Zendesk.
- Select a project and task for the ticket.
For more information, see Deciding what activity to track above.
The Harvest panel should look as follows:
- Do one of the following:
Click Start Timer when you begin working on the ticket. Click it again when you're done to stop the timer.
Work on the ticket. When you're done, click the Add duration link and manually enter your time.
Reviewing time spent on tickets
You can review and analyze time spent on a specific ticket, on tickets during a specific period, or on categories of tickets.
To review the time spent on a specific ticket
Open the ticket in Zendesk and look at the time log on the lower side of the Harvest app in the Apps sidebar.
You may have to connect to your Harvest site to see the log. Enter the email and password you use to log in to your Harvest account.
To review the time spent on tickets during a specific period
With a ticket open in Zendesk, click the View your Harvest timesheet link in the Apps sidebar.
For more information, see Timesheets in Harvest Help.Note: You can also log in to your Harvest site (https://mydomain.harvestapp.com) and click the Timesheets tab.
To review the time spent on categories of tickets
Log in to your Harvest site (https://mydomain.harvestapp.com) and click the Reports tab.