You can track the time your support team spent on every Zendesk Support ticket by using the Time Tracking app.
With the app, support managers gain visibility into the actual time spent across all your customer service interactions. While the app tracks time automatically, you’ll need to build a few custom metrics and reports in Insights to analyze your team’s time logs. We’ve created a four-part series to walk you through best practices on how to best report on time spent:
The most costly support issues for your organization (this article)
This final article in the series walks you through how you can report on the various issues that are brought up in your Zendesk account and exactly how much of your team's time is being spent on each issue.
For general information on setting up the Time Tracking app, see Setting up Time Tracking .
What kinds of issues are most common and how much time do my agents spend answering them?
Skill Level: Advanced
Time Required: 20 minutes
1 custom ticket field to track issue type
2 custom metrics to track Total time spent and Average time per ticket ( link to metric recipe )
- Click Reporting in the sidebar, then click the Insights tab. Click the GoodData link in the top right corner of the panel.
- In Insights, in the top menu, click Reports , then click Create Report.
- Open the What menu and select # Tickets , Total time spent (min), and Avg time spent per ticket (min).
- Open the How menu and select Issue Type. Note that this name might be different if you've chosen a different name for your custom ticket field.
- Click Filter , then Select from a list of values. Create a new filter that says Issue type Isn’t (empty value).
- To ensure that your data stays accurate and you can see the effect of any changes, add another filter. Select the Month/Year (Event) attribute. Under Select floating range, s et the floating date range to be from one month ago to the current month.
- Use the icons in the top right to select the Bubble chart type.
- Click the Show Configuration link in the top right. Click and drag the metrics and attributes so that # Tickets is on the Horizontal (X) axis, Avg Time spent per ticket is on the Vertical (Y) axis, and Total time spent is assigned to the Size.
- Click Apply.
- Your finished report should look like the one below. You can use the Show Configuration menu to change the colors and add labels if desired.