Some of the most common questions about our mobile apps revolve around how notifications work. Whether you're an iOS or an Android user, notifications can be very handy for managing your tickets on the go! This article will explain how to configure your device to receive notifications and the conditions under which you should see notifications.
This article contains the following sections:
- Setup checklist
- Enabling notifications for the Zendesk Support Mobile app in iOS
- Notification conditions and examples
- Common troubleshooting steps and questions
Before you can start receiving notifications on your device, you'll need to ensure you've done the basics:
- First, make sure the Zendesk app for your device has been installed
- Second, make sure that notifications are enabled for your device (see Enabling Notifications for the Zendesk Support Mobile app in iOS below).
- Third, ensure that you are signed into the correct Zendesk Support as an agent or admin
In iOS, you need to make sure that you have notifications enabled in the Settings app, and that you have refreshed your iOS app to pick up those settings. The following screenshots were taken on an iPhone running iOS 8, but the workflow is identical for iPads.
- Go to Settings .
- Tap on Notifications .
- Scroll down and look for the Zendesk Support Mobile app.
- Tap on Zendesk and select Allow Notifications .
- Configure the following settings:
- Show in Notification Center : This option allows you to determine whether or not Zendesk Support notifications will show up in your Notification Center. You can choose No Recent Items or have up to 10 of the most recent notifications. This setting also determines whether the Zendesk Support Mobile app appears under Include or “Do Not Include” section on the previous “Notifications” page.
- Sounds : This option allows you to toggle sound on or off with your notifications.
- Badge App Icon : This option determines whether or not a “badge” appears on your app showing your unchecked notifications.
- Show on Lock Screen : Determines whether or not your notifications will appear on your lock screen.
- Alert Style When Unlocked : Determines how your notifications appear visually when you are using your unlocked device.
Now that your device has notifications enabled, it is important to understand the conditions under which you will receive a notification.
Note: The steps below refer to “the user” - this is the agent/admin signed into the Zendesk Support Mobile app on their device.
There are three conditions:
- A ticket is assigned to the user
- A ticket assigned to the user has the “Priority” value elevated (ex. Normal to High)
- A comment is made on a ticket assigned to the user
In practice, a user “Bob” would see notifications if:
- Bob’s boss James assigned Bob a ticket
- A developer changed the Priority of one of Bob’s tickets from Low -> Urgent
- A customer or colleague replied to one of Bob’s tickets
Here is an example of what the Home tab looks like when some actions have been taken on a ticket assigned to Bob.
Some cases where Bob would not see notifications:
- Bob assigned a ticket to himself
- The Priority of an Urgent ticket assigned to Bob was lowered from Urgent to High
- Bob replied to one of his assigned tickets
- A ticket is assigned to a group of which Bob is a member
Question: Why aren't my notifications working?
Answer : There could be several reasons for this! Here's a quick checklist:
- You've enabled notifications for the app (Note: You MUST have notifications enabled in both the Zendesk Support for iOS app and the App Info settings - if either one is turned off, your notifications will not work!).
- You have the latest version of the app
- You have hit Refresh app in the Settings tab of Zendesk Support for iOS app.
- The notification you're expecting fits the criteria mentioned above under Notification conditions and examples
- Finally, the following process usually enables notifications again if everything above doesn't explain:
- Log out of the app.
- Uninstall the app.
- Reinstall the app.
- Log back into the app.
Question: I just changed my notification settings. Why am I still not receiving notifications? Why are the settings not applied?
Answer : Make sure you hit the Update views, macros and settings button in the Settings tab. Assuming everything else is correct, your notifications should begin working after that.
Question : Why don't you have a notification for _insert scenario here_?
Answer : Great question! We strive to make sure our apps stay beautifully simple here at Zendesk Support, but we get many requests for adding certain types of notifications to our Mobile applications. We are always looking for more great ideas to implement in the future, so feel free to leave a comment here or post in our Product Feedback Forum .