Some of the most common questions about our mobile apps revolve around how notifications work. Whether you're an iOS or Android user, notifications can be very handy for managing your tickets on the go! This article explains the conditions under which you should see notifications on your mobile devices.
This article contains the following sections:
- Notifications setup checklist
- Enabling notifications for the Zendesk Support Mobile app for Android
- Configuring notifications for the Zendesk Support Mobile app for Android
- Notification conditions and examples
- Common troubleshooting steps and questions
Before you can start receiving notifications on your device, you'll need to ensure you've done the basics:
- First, make sure the Zendesk Support app for your device has been installed.
- Second, make sure that notifications are enabled for your device (see below).
- Third, ensure that you are signed into the correct Zendesk as an agent or admin.
- If your device is not running Android 4.0.4 or newer, you might be required to be actively signed into a Google Account to receive notifications. For more information, please see http://developer.android.com/google/gcm/gcm.html
In Android, you need to complete the following tasks:
- Enable notifications within the app.
- Enable notifications within App Info . Please note that, due to various third-party customizations and the many different versions of Android, the instructions for getting to the “ App Info ” page on your Android device might differ slightly from the workflow provided below.
Enabling notifications for the Zendesk Support Mobile app in-app
- Log into the Zendesk Support Mobile app for Android.
- In the upper right hand corner, tap the Settings gear.
- Ensure that Notifications is turned to On.
- You can also control here whether notifications to play sounds or cause your device to vibrate. To do so, toggle those settings to On .
Enabling notifications on the App Info page
- Go to the Settings app on your device.
- Look for the Application Manager or Applications choice (this differs by device).
- Scroll down to the Zendesk Support Mobile app and select it.
- Make sure the Notifications check box is checked.
Unlike the iOS app, notification configuration is done in the Zendesk Support Mobile App on Android. There are three basic settings, two of which only appear once “ Notifications ” has been enabled.
- Notifications : Turning this “ON” allows your Zendesk Support Mobile App for Android to receive/display notifications (you likely enabled this from the steps above)
- Notification sound : This option allows you to toggle sound on or off with your notifications.
- Notification vibrate : This option allows you to toggle vibration on or off with your notifications.
Configure these to your liking - and you're done!
Now that your device has notifications enabled, it is important to understand the conditions under which you will receive a notification.
Note that the "user" referred to in the steps below is the agent or admin signed into the Zendesk Support Mobile app on their Android device.
There are three different conditions that cause a notification to appear:
- A ticket is assigned to the user by another agent
- A ticket assigned to the user has the “Priority” value elevated (ex. Normal -> High)
- A comment is made on a ticket assigned to the user
In practice, a user “Bob” would see notifications if:
- Bob’s boss James assigned Bob a ticket
- A developer changed the Priority of one of Bob’s tickets from Low -> Urgent
- A customer or colleague replied to one of Bob’s tickets
Below are some examples of how notifications look in the Home screen in-app, the Android "Notifications" drop-down, and the "Notifications" pull-up in the Zendesk Support Mobile app.
- Zendesk Support App: "Home" Screen
- Zendesk Support App: "Notifications" Pull-Up
- Android: Notifications Panel
Here are some cases where user Bob would not see notifications:
- Bob assigned a ticket to himself
- The Priority of an Urgent ticket assigned to Bob was lowered from Urgent to High
- Bob replied to one of his assigned tickets
- A ticket is assigned to a group of which Bob is a member
Question : Why aren't my notifications working?
Answer : There could be several reasons for this! Make sure all of the following are true:
- You've enabled notifications for the app (Note: You MUST have notifications enabled in both the Zendesk Support Mobile app for Android and the App Info settings - if either one is turned off, your notifications will not work!).
- You have the latest version of the app
- You have hit Refresh app in the Settings tab of the Zendesk Support Mobile app for Android.
- The notification you're expecting fits the criteria mentioned above under Notification Conditions & Examples
Finally, the following process usually enables notifications again if everything above doesn't explain:
- Log out of the app.
- Uninstall the app.
- Reinstall the app.
- Log back into the app.
Question : I just changed my notification settings. Why am I still not receiving notifications? Why are the settings not applied?
Answer : Make sure you have hit the “Refresh app” button in the Settings tab. In addition, make sure the notifications you're expecting fit the proper criteria from above.
Question : Why don't you have a notification for _insert scenario here_?
Answer : Great question! We strive to make sure our apps stay beautifully simple, but we get many requests for adding certain types of notifications to our Mobile applications. We are always looking for more great ideas to implement in the future, so feel free to leave a comment here or post in our Product Feedback Forum .