The community consists of posts associated with different discussion topics. Topics can be anything you want, and you can create as many as you want.
Guide managers can add, edit, delete, and manually arrange topics. Agents and moderators don't have the permissions to make these changes.
For information about managing community posts within discussion topics, see Managing community posts.
Adding discussion topics
Discussion topics can be anything you want. You can add as many topics as you need.
For example, if you support multiple products, you might add a topic for each product. If you have one product with a lot of functionality, you might add a topic for each major feature area or task. If you have different types of users (for example, end-users and API developers), you might add a topic for each type of user. You can also add a General Discussion topic where users can discuss issues that don't quite fit in the other topics.
To add a topic
- Click Add in the top menu bar, then select Community topic.
- Enter a Name and optional Description for your section.
- Select a User segment to determine who can access this topic.
By default, a topic is visible to all users. You can choose to restrict access to signed-in users.
On Guide Professional and Enterprise, you have the ability to restrict access based on tags, organizations, or groups by applying custom user segments, see Creating user segments to restrict access. On Guide Professional and Enterprise, you can also restrict access to agents and managers to create internal-only access.
- Under Who can manage posts, select Managers if you want only Guide Managers to add and edit posts, or leave Agents and managers selected if you want agents to also be able to add and edit posts in this section.
- Click Add.
Editing and deleting discussion topics
You can edit a discussion topic if you need to change the name, description, or access privileges.
You can delete a topic if you no longer need it. When you delete a topic, all the posts in the topic are also deleted. If you don't want to delete the posts in the topic, move the posts before you delete the topic.
To edit a topic
- Open the topic in help center, then click Edit topic in the top menu
- Make your changes to the name or description and click Update.
To delete a topic
- Open the topic in theelp center, then click Edit topic in the top menu bar.
Be sure you've moved any posts that you want to save to another topic.
- Click the Delete topic link on the page.
Reordering discussion topics
You can manually reorder your community discussion topics. You cannot reorder the posts within a topic.
To manually reorder topics
- In Guide, click the Arrange content () icon in the sidebar, then click Arrange topics.
- Click any community topic, then drag it to another place in the order.
- Click Save when you're finished.