By Holly Szkoropad, GoodData
A new feature available in the Extensible Analytics Engine (XAE) can show ranking trends over time. The Rank function enables you to see the status of yesterday's frontrunners with today's, and hopefully help you plan for the future.
This recipe uses Rank to create a report that monitors tagged issues week-over-week. Such analysis assists you in analyzing the top issues in your Zendesk each month. The end report will look like the image below.
To display rank over time in a report, you need to complete these steps
Create custom rank metric
To begin, create a metric in the Advanced Metric Editor to rank your tags 1-10 within a week. The Rank function will compute a rank for the metric values within your report. Define the Rank metric as the following:
- SELECT RANK activates the Rank function in the metric.
- # Tickets can be found in the pick-list Metrics folder.
- DESC forces ranking in descending order (1-10). To rank in ascending order, use ASC instead.
- The Week (Sun-Sat)/Year (Created) attribute is the time period to rank in. A time attribute must be specified in the metric and can be found in the pick-list Attributes folder.
- ALL OTHER locks the metric aggregation to the weekly level, even if it is sliced by another attribute (like the Tag attribute).
The new Rank metric is displayed as #1 - #10, so you can apply \# #,##0 custom number formatting to the metric. After creating your metric, add custom number formatting in Metric Format details.Note: Using the backslash enables you to view the hash as "#" rather than a number.
Slice report by attributes
- Tag , or the attribute by which you wish to rank.
- Week (Sun-Sat)/Year (Created) , which is the same one used in the Rank metric definition.
Filter the report
Finally, you must configure the report to display only the top 10 tags per week. To do this, create a numeric range filter with the same values as the image below.