- Include Zendesk ticket information in the chat
- Include lists of related Help Center articles in the chat, and let anyone in the chat read each article in a pop-up window
Topics covered in this article:
Setting up the integration
To use the integration, you need a HipChat account with at least one chat room. A free version is available. See the HipChat website.
To install the integration
- Sign in to HipChat.
- Click Integrations on the top bar.
Note: If you don't see an Integrations in the top bar, click the HipChat button in the upper-left corner.
- Scroll down and click the Zendesk for HipChat integration. (They're in alphabetical order.)
- On the Zendesk for HipChat page, click Add Integration on the upper right.
- When prompted, select the room to install the integration and click Continue.
- Back on the Zendesk for HipChat page, click the link to enable HipChat Connect.
- In the HipChat Connect section of the Preferences page, select Enable and click Save.
- Still on the Preferences page, click Back to add-on installation.
- On the Install Integration screen, click Install. If you get a time-out error, try again a short time later.
A page to configure the integration appears.
To configure the integration
- Enter your Zendesk subdomain and then click Authenticate with Zendesk.
- If prompted, sign in to your Zendesk instance.
- Grant permission to the integration to access your Zendesk.
- Define the search expressions users can use to insert ticket information or articles in a chat (or accept the defaults), then click Save My Configuration.
Search expressions are like keyword shortcuts users can type into a message to include information from Zendesk into a chat. For example, if a person wants to reference a ticket and the ticket search expression is "ZD#", they might type "The issue was reported in ticket ZD#123" After hitting Enter, a card from Zendesk will appear in the chat with the ticket subject, priority, status, and assigned agent. You can create your own ticket or article search expressions.
Using the integration
Including ticket information in chats
To include information about a Zendesk ticket in a chat, a user can enter the ticket search expression plus the ticket number in the text of a message. For example, if the ticket expression is "ZD#", then typing the string "ZD#2342" in the message inserts a card in the chat with the ticket's subject, priority, status, and assigned agent.
A user with the agent role in Zendesk can click the ellipsis on the right side of the card to go to the ticket in Zendesk.
Including articles in chats
To include one or more related Help Center articles in a chat, the user can enter the article search expression plus a keyword in the text of a message. For example, if the search expression is "I'm looking for help with", then typing the string "I'm looking for help with curl" in the message inserts a card in the chat with the results of a Help Center search. Clicking the article title in the results opens the article's content in a window in HipChat.