We frequently receive requests to change, delete, purge, recover, or otherwise alter data in customers' Zendesk accounts. Despite our best intentions, these requests can result in a poor customer experience.
Effective March 1, 2016, our policy is that we will not change, delete/purge, or recover any data in a customer's Zendesk. Our customers must manage their Zendesk data with tools that exist in the product, or with Zendesk apps.
This article covers:
- Data management apps
- Policy exceptions
- Why did Zendesk implement this policy?
- How can I recover or change my own data?
- If you want to delete suspended tickets, refer to the Suspended Ticket Bulk Deletion App. Please note that this is a Zendesk Labs app and is not officially supported by our Support team.
- If you want to redact text or attachments on tickets, refer to the Redaction App (which only works on open tickets). Please note that this is a Zendesk Labs app and is not officially supported by our Support team.
- If you want to delete tickets entirely, you may be able to engage with our Professional Services team to have tickets deleted for a fee.
- Community tip: Retrieve deleted Help Center content using Google's cache
There is only one exception to this policy. In situations where the need for data management or recovery is caused by Zendesk (e.g. a Zendesk bug causes tickets to be improperly created or removed in a customer's account), we will make all reasonable efforts to return the data to its proper state in your Zendesk account.
Data management on behalf of the customer requires us to take actions that destroy or alter data without fully understanding the long-term consequences of those actions. Any error in communication or execution can result in further loss of data, such as if we act on information provided by a customer who has incorrectly described the data they want changed, or if we make a mistake during the deletion/recover process. These are not theoretical risks; we have experienced both and learned a difficult lesson. This policy helps us ensure we will not compromise any customer's data going forward.