Campaigns are targeted, proactive messages that inform, educate, or notify a segment or CSV list of customers.
In order for In-Product Messages to work, you need to install a code snippet on their website, or add it to their Help Center. See Installing the Connect code snippet for more information.
This article contains the following topics:
The Campaigns page
To access the Connect Campaigns page
- Click the Products icon in the top toolbar of your Zendesk, and select Connect.
- Click Campaigns in the left toolbar.
The Campaigns screen lists all of your existing campaigns, organized into a sortable table.
The Campaigns table includes the following columns:
- Name, the title of the campaign.
- Type, what kind of campaign it is. Currently, only IPM (In-Product Message) is available.
- Total Recipients, how many individuals received the campaign.
- Seen, how many individuals have viewed the campaign.
- Clicked CTA , how many individuals have clicked the campaign's call to action button.
- Author, the campaign creator.
- Source, the segment or CSV used by the campaign.
- Status, whether the campaign is a draft, live, scheduled, paused, completed, or if an error has occurred.
- Created At, the date the campaign was created.
You can narrow the number of campaigns displayed in this table using the Filter drop-down.
To filter the campaign list
- Click the Filter drop-down menu at the top of the campaigns list.
- Select the filter you want to apply to the campaign list.
Creating and sending campaigns
Campaigns are created on the campaign builder page:
The campaign builder takes you through the steps for building a campaign, and gives you the option to send, or save, the campaign.
- On the Campaigns page, click the New Campaign button.
- On a saved segment page, click the Send Campaign button.
To create a campaign
- Open the campaign builder using one of the above methods.
- On the Setup page, enter a name for the new campaign.
- Select a medium:
- For the EAP, In-Product message is pre-selected. This creates a campaign that displays messages to users in the segments you define, based on their location on your support site.
- Click Next.
- On the Design page, enter the following:
- Introduction: Enter the text you want to appear at the top of the message. This can be a greeting, a person's name, etc.
- Message: Enter the text you want to use for the message.
- Button Text: Enter a call to action (a short word or phrase) to display in the message button. For instance, if you are asking your customers to acknowledge the information in the message, you might want to enter "Thanks, I got the message!"
- Button Link: (Optional) Enter the URL you want to link to when the customer clicks the button. If this field is left blank, clicking the CTA button closes the message box, which is useful if you want to inform customers of something without needing them to visit another page.
You can use a relative URL in this field, if you want to point customers to specific web pages. The start of the URL, before the relative path, is based on where the recipient receives the message. For example, using the relative button link /connect appends the current URL received by the customer with "/connect". So, if a customer receives an IPM on "http://www.zendesk.com", they will be taken to "http://www.zendesk.com/connect".
- Avatar: Click Attach to select an image to accompany the message.
- Button Color: Click to open a color picker, or enter the hexadecimal number for the color you want to use.
As you enter these elements, a preview of the campaign appears in the right-side column. Use the buttons at the top of the column to preview the Desktop and Mobile versions of the campaign.
- Click Next.
- On the Recipients page, enter the following:
- Recipients: Select Segment or CSV to indicate the type of source you're pulling your campaign targets from. If you accessed the builder using the Send Campaign button on a segment page, that segment is pre-selected here.
- Segments or CSV: If you selected Segment in the step above, use the drop-down menu to choose the segment you're targeting; If you selected CSV, drag or browse to the CSV file you're using.
- If you selected Segments above, select Only target existing segment members to show your IPM to users that are currently in the segment; deselect if you want to target users who are in the segment at the time the campaign is deployed.
- Click Next.
- On the Scheduling page, enter the following, if you want to schedule your campaign, rather than launching it manually:
- Click Set start date and time, then use the calendar and clock entry boxes to select the date and time you want the campaign to start.
- Click Set end date and time, then use the calendar and clock entry boxes to select the date and time you want the campaign to end.
- Click Next.
- On the Review page:
- Verify the information you included in the Setup and Design pages.
- Click Launch Live Preview to see what the campaign will look like to users.
- Note the number of Recipients, users who will receive the campaign. This number may be impacted by your selections on the previous screen.
- Click Send now to deliver the campaign immediately, or click the Campaigns icon to save the campaign as a draft and return to the Campaigns page.
Viewing and editing campaigns
You can view any campaign by clicking on the campaign name on the Campaigns page. You can edit most campaigns, depending on its status.
- Draft campaigns can be edited in the campaign builder.
- Paused or live campaigns can also be edited from the campaign reporting page.
To edit a paused or live campaign
- On the Campaigns page, scroll through the table to locate the campaign you want to open.
- Click the name of the live or paused campaign you want to view to open it in the campaign builder.
- Click the Options button (), and select Edit Campaign.
Note: Live campaigns are paused while being edited. If this is acceptable, click Edit Campaign to open it in the campaign builder.
- Edit the design as needed, then click Next.
- Click the Resume Now button.
Note: If you exit the campaign builder without clicking the Resume Campaign button, the live campaign remains paused. To resume the campaign, click the Options button () and select Resume Campaign.