Segments are collections of users that share certain traits. They are created from your existing customer base by applying filters drawn from user attributes, events, and custom fields, to identify individuals you want target with a campaign.
This article contains the following topics:
The Segments page
The Segments page is where all your customer groups are, organized into a sortable, searchable table.
To access the Connect Segments page
- Click the Products icon in the top toolbar of your Zendesk, and select Connect.
- Click Segments in the left toolbar.
The Segments table includes the following columns:
- Selected, checkboxes to select segments for editing or other use. Boxes with a lock icon in this column cannot be selected, because they are used in a current campaign (or it is the All segment, which cannot be deleted).
- Segment, the names of your customer groups (sortable).
- Users, the number of users in that group (sortable).
- 7 Day Change, which displays the number of users added, or removed, from the group in the past week (sortable).
- Filters, the criteria used to create that group of customers.
- Author, the group's creator.
- Last Edited, the time and date of the most recent manual change to the segment (sortable).
You can sort the segment table by clicking on any of the column headers, or filter the table using the search box.
Segments are built on the Create segment page.
When you first open the Create Segment page, no filters are applied to the list of matching users - all of your customers are included. The list is updated dynamically as filters are applied, allowing you to see how many, and which, users will be included in the new segment.
To create a segment
- On the Segments page, click Create Segment.
- On the Create Segment page, enter a title and description for the new segment.
- Click the Add Filter button, which opens the filter selection drop-down.
The filters included here are divided into categories:
- Attribute filters, which include basic user information, such as user name, role, or organization.
- Event filters, actions the user has taken.
- User custom field filters, pulled from any custom fields you have created for your user profiles.
- At the top of the filter selection drop-down, enter a search term to locate a specific attribute, event, or custom field; or, scroll through the list to locate the attribute you want.
- Select a field operator and value to define the filter.
- Repeat steps 2-4 for additional filters. You can duplicate a filter by clicking the copy button (), and editing it as needed, or delete the filter by clicking the trash can ().
- Click Save. Your segment is created and added to the segment list.
When you save your segment, you can immediately choose to edit it, or send a campaign using the buttons at the top of the segment's page. Otherwise, click the Segments button in the sidebar to return to the Segments page.
Viewing and editing segments
You can view an existing segment, or edit a segment.
To view a segment
- On the Segments page, scroll through the table to locate the segment you want to open; or, begin entering the segment name into the search box to filter the segments table.
- Click the name of the segment you want to view to open its saved segment page:
At the top of the page, you'll see:
Along the left side of the page is the following information:
- Details, including the number of people in the segment, who created the segment and when, and the segment description.
- Filters, all of the filters used to create the segment.
- Campaigns, the active, upcoming, and completed campaigns (if any) sent to the segment.
The user table is in the center of the page. You can click a user name to view their user profile, use the search box to locate a user quickly, and add or remove columns in the table.
To add or remove columns in the user table
- Click the Columns drop-down icon () to display the available columns.
- From the available columns list, toggle the columns you want to display in, or remove from, the table. A checkmark indicates the columns displayed in the table; an empty checkbox indicates the column will not appear in the table.
- Click outside the columns drop-down to close and save your choices.
To edit a segment
- Click the Edit button to open the segment in the create segment page.
- Update the segment, as described in Creating segments.
- Click Save. The segment is updated.
Duplicating and deleting segments
You can duplicate or delete any non-locked segment, from the segments table.
To duplicate a segment
- On the segments page, click the checkbox to select the segment you want to duplicate.
- Click the Duplicate button .
- Enter a name for the new segment, and click Save.
The duplicate is added to the segment table. You can edit it as needed, as described in Viewing and editing segments.
To delete a segment
- On the segments page, click the checkbox to select the segment you want to delete.
- Click the Delete button .
- Click Delete, or Cancel to abort the deletion.