What are some of the key features of Google Translate on Chat?
When an end user clicks to start a new chat our system checks the first word and string of text sent from them. If it detects a language that is different than what is configured in your personal settings for the Chat dashboard, a small pop-up will appear to indicate that the end-user is typing in a different language. This will also present agents with two options: Translate or Dismiss:
The Dismiss option will remove that pop-up for Google Translate. The Translate option will, as it suggests, translate the end user's response for the answering agent and any subsequent messages from the Chat agent for the end user:
For agents, next to the end user's translated message is an option to show the original un-translated text and next to the agent's message is an option to show how their message was translated:
End users will not be notified that their messages are being translated, but they will see both the agent's original untranslated responses and a translated version which will always be labeled as translated in their native language in parentheses like this:
Additional things to note:
- At the end of the chat when a ticket is created, none of the end-user message translations will appear in the transcript.
- Translations are only overlaid by Google Translate for the duration of the chat - this is why the end user's translated messages are not saved on the transcript.
- Both the original and translated messages sent by the agent will appear in the transcript.
- If the Google Translate feature does not automatically detect the language an end user is typing in, agents can manually activate the feature to translate the chat by clicking the Actions drop-down button in the upper right-hand corner of the chat window and click to translate.
- Agents can change the translated language at any time using the Google Translate menu at the top of the chat.
- Google Translate does not automatically translate to customer's language the messages from agent to end-users when an agent initiates a chat from the dashboard.