This FAQ covers the following questions about using and troubleshooting the Slack for Zendesk Support integration:
- Installation requirements and questions
- What plan do I need to be on to use the integration?
- What permissions are required to install the integration?
- I've installed the Slack app from the Zendesk Marketplace, why doesn't it work?
- I've installed the Zendesk app in my Slack account by I don't see the Zendesk actions
- Is Enterprise Grid supported?
- Configuring the integration
- Integration functionality
- Why is the requester field on ticket created via the integration always set to the person who installed the integration?
- Do I need to be a Zendesk Support user to create tickets from Slack?
- Can attachments be included in the ticket notification in Slack?
- Can I close tickets from Slack?
- Can I edit ticket fields in Slack?
- If I create a new ticket from Slack, will others on the channel be able to see it?
- Can I create a ticket in a direct conversation with the Zendesk app and will others see it?
- Can I choose which team a ticket I create from Slack gets assigned to?
- Slack for Side Conversations
- What do I need to use Slack for Side Conversations?
- Do I need to reinstall the Slack integration to use this?
- Which Slack channels can I start side conversations in?
- Can I direct message people?
- Can I edit or delete messages?
- How will agents know when people respond to Slack threads?
- Can I start side conversations in private or shared channels?
- Why aren't channels showing up in the channel selector?
- What happens to existing conversations if the channel is deleted or if the Zendesk app is removed from the channel?
For more information on the Slack for Zendesk Support integration, see the following articles:
Installation requirements and questions
What plan do I need to be on to use the integration?
Team and above.
What permissions are required to install the integration?
To install the integration you need to be an admin in both Zendesk Support and Slack.
I've installed the Slack app from the Zendesk marketplace, why doesn't it work?
You do not need to install the Slack app from the Zendesk marketplace. It will be automatically installed once you've installed and configured the Zendesk app in Slack.
I've installed the Zendesk app in my Slack account by I don't see the Zendesk actions
The app needs to be invited to a channel to work. You can invite the Zendesk app to a channel by clicking on the settings cog inside the Slack channel and selecting "Add apps"
Is Enterprise Grid supported?
It is not supported in the current version. If the integration is installed on Enterprise Grid, the Zendesk app will work only one workspace.
Configuring the integration
Who can configure the integration in Slack?
Channel notifications are configured from Slack via direct conversation with the Zendesk app. Only Slack admins are able to configure channel notifications
Can I run both old (built by Slack) and new (built by Zendesk) integrations in parallel?
Yes, you can run them side by side.
Can I connect multiple Zendesk accounts to a Slack workspace?
The current version allows connecting a single Zendesk subdomain to a workspace. We are planning to support multiple Zendesk subdomains in the future.
Can the ticket notification information be customized?
Notification information is not customizable.
Why is the requester field on tickets created via the integration always set to the person who installed the integration?
Since we do not require each Slack user to be an agent in Zendesk Support, all actions in Zendesk performed in Slack are attributed to the Zendesk user that authenticated to Zendesk during the installation process.
Do I need to be a Zendesk Support user to create tickets from Slack?
Any Slack user can create tickets in Zendesk Support. The ticket owner will automatically be the Slack authenticated user.
Can attachments be included in the ticket notification in Slack?
Comment attachments aren't currently included in the notification in Slack, but light agents can click on the ticket link to see them in Zendesk. Inline images and image links included in the comment will be posted to Slack.
Can I close tickets from Slack?
You cannot currently close tickets using Slack.
Can I edit ticket fields in Slack?
You cannot currently edit ticket fields in Slack, but they can be edited from your Zendesk account.
If I create a new ticket from Slack, will others on the channel be able to see it?
Anyone on the channel will be able to see the newly created ticket
Can I create a ticket in a direct conversation with the Zendesk app and will others see it?
Yes, you can. The notification will be posted back to you. Other channels on your Slack account may be configured to receive ticket notifications and could also see your ticket notification.
Can I choose which team a ticket I create from Slack gets assigned to?
When tickets are created via the integration, there is currently no way to choose in assigned. This field remains bank.
Slack for Side Conversations
What do I need to be able to use Slack for Side Conversations?
Slack for side conversations is built on top of the Slack for Zendesk Support integration, so install that first. Then you'll need the Collaboration add-on, which is available for Professional and above Support plans. Then, just enable Slack in the Side conversations section of the Tickets settings.
Do I need to reinstall the Slack integration to use this?
If you've been using the Slack integration for a while, there's a chance that you'll need to reinstall it to gain a few new Slack permissions that enable the side conversations integration to work (things like custom emojis, channel listing, etc.)
Which Slack channels can I start side conversations in?
Side conversations can be created in any Slack channel that the Zendesk app has been invited to.
Can I direct message people?
Direct messages are currently not supported. One approach some customers have taken is to set up private channels that only have one member in it with a name like #toby-private which would then enable side conversations to be sent to the channel and would allow Toby to receive a notification.
Can I edit or delete messages?
Yes, with similar rules to Slack. If you've created a message you'll be able to delete it and edit it. If you're an admin in Zendesk Support you'll be able to delete any messages that have been sent to Slack from side conversations, regardless of the author. Messages edited or deleted on the Slack side will also be reflected in the side conversations.
How will agents know when people respond to Slack threads?
While an agent is logged into Zendesk Support, they'll receive growl notifications in the upper right whenever a side conversation they're involved in is updated. In addition, most admins set up triggers that will do things like moving a ticket's status back to open whenever a side conversation is updated in order to get it back into views.
Can I start side conversations in private or shared channels?
Yes, since the Zendesk app can be invited to private and shared channels, agents will be able to create side conversations in these channels. This means that even if the agent doesn't have access to the channel in Slack, they'll be able to create and participate in specific threads in them, but won't have access to anything else in the channel.
Why aren't channels showing up in the channel selector?
The Slack for side conversations integration retrieves and caches the channel listing from Slack, however, it's possible for the two to become out of sync. When this happens there are a couple of things to try:
- Manually add or remove the Zendesk app from a channel – Slack will send the integration a notification that the app has been added/removed which will trigger a new channel cache
- Wait a few minutes – if worse comes to worst, the cache will usually reset after 10 minutes or so and retrieve a fresh channel listing
What happens to existing side conversations if the channel is deleted or if the Zendesk app is removed from the channel?
You'll still be able to view the side conversations in Support, but it won't be possible to update the conversation, so no replies, edits, or deletions. If the Zendesk app was removed, inviting it back to the channel will reestablish the connection.