Customers today expect a seamless omnichannel experience and today we're excited to bring that experience to the Zendesk Web Widget. The enhanced experience within the Web Widget enables your customers to seamlessly switch between starting a chat, reading a knowledge base article, and receiving a message -- all from within the widget on your website. Using this new experience, you can empower your customers to reach out to you using their preferred channel, and your support teams can be ready to take control of interactions regardless of which channel they are coming in from.
If you have a Web Widget with an existing Chat account, you will be able to opt-in to the new integrated Chat experience via the Integrated Chat toggle in your Widget settings in Support.
Simply turn on the toggle (for each brand, if you have more than one) and save the configuration to enable the new experience. If you need to, you can opt-out later and revert back to the old experience.
If you were already participating in the Integrated Chat experience early access program (EAP), you will already be familiar with this toggle and aren’t impacted by this change. If you had already enabled the integrated Chat experience, it will continue to be enabled.
Here are just a few highlights about the features and benefits of the enhanced experience within the Web Widget:
- An improved look and feel, consistent with other channels in the Web Widget
- Visitors can seamlessly move between Chat and the Help Center, including receiving incoming Chat messages while browsing your knowledge base articles
- Proactive chat notification support
- Enhanced file attachment functionality and menu experience
- Show conversation history to returning authenticated visitors for context
- Visitors can pop out the widget to a new window for Chat, and you can now share a link that will open the widget directly to Chat
- Support for automatic translation when your visitor and agents are speaking a different language
- Google Analytics support for Chat specific events
- Social login via Facebook or Google for a more personalized experience
- Offline form including operating hours (when the Contact Form is disabled)
- Chat badge launcher option (when the widget is configured to Chat only)
For more information on how to setup and configure the widget experience, click here to learn more.
Where do I find the Integrated Chat toggle?
In Widget settings in Support (per brand).
When will this experience be default for all customers (i.e. how long is this opt-in phase)?
Pending customer feedback, we expect to make the integrated Chat experience generally available to all Support and Chat customers in Q2 2019.
I am a standalone Chat customer using the old Zendesk Chat/Zopim widget snippet. How does this impact me?
If you're currently using standalone Chat with the legacy Zendesk Chat/Zopim snippet, this change will not impact you. This announcement is specific to accounts using the Zendesk Web Widget with Chat.
In the coming months, we will give you the opportunity to upgrade to the new experience. If you'd like to find out how to upgrade today, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who do I contact if I experience an issue when I enable the integrated Chat experience?
Please contact email@example.com.
What if I am new to Chat?
If you signed up for Chat after 15 Feb 2019, your widget will feature the integrated Chat experience, by default, and you will not see the option to opt in or out.
Do I need to change anything if I am using the Chat widget integration with Guide?
If you have embedded the Web Widget on your help center, you will want to make sure that the Chat standalone widget setting is disabled in the Guide Admin settings.
In Guide Admin, go to Guide Settings and under the ‘Integrations’ section you will see the option labelled ‘Chat’. If you have turned on the Web Widget to be visible on your help center, you should disable the ‘Chat’ setting. This will ensure the two widgets won’t load on the page together.