Only the account owner can promote an administrator to the account owner role. If you need to find out who the current account owner is, see How do I find out who the Support account owner is.
There are a number of scenarios for changing an account owner. The method you choose may depend on whether the account owner is still available, or if they have left the organization.
This article includes the following topics:
Changing owners when the current owner is available
When the current owner is still available, transferring ownership is fairly simple. The steps described in this section should be performed when logged in as the current owner.
By setting another administrator to the account owner role, the previous account owner loses access to all subscription related pages such as this Invoices tab and the Benchmark tab.
In order to transfer ownership to a different user, the new owner must be a current agent or administrator on the account. If you need to add the new account owner, see Adding agents and administrators.
If you need to add the new owner to the account, and no agent seats are available, the current owner can edit their own user profile to make the transfer.
- In Zendesk Support, click the Admin icon () in the sidebar, then select Account.
- Click the Owner tab.
- Select an administrator from the Account Owner drop-down list. You must have at least one other administrator to see the list.
- Click Save Tab.
To transfer ownership to a new administrator, when no agent seats are available
- In Zendesk Support, click the current owner's profile icon in the upper-right corner of the page header, then select View profile page.
- In the profile's email field, click add contact and enter the new owner's email address. The new owner receives a verification email at this address.
- After the new email is verified, return to the current owner's profile.
- Click the dropdown icon on the new email address, and select Make primary contact.
- Delete the old owner's email address from the account,. The account and profile now belong to the new owner. Reset the account's password and update the other account information as needed.
Note: If you do not want to change the email address of the current owner profile, you can submit a request to firstname.lastname@example.org and we can assist with adding a temporary agent seat to your account to create a new user profile.
Changing owners when the current owner is unavailable
If the current owner is no longer available, we can make the change for you following a quick security measure. Send a written request in the form of a PDF to email@example.com including:
- The account subdomain
- The name and email address of the current account owner.
- The name and email address of the new account owner
- The last four digits of the credit card number on file
- The billing address of the credit card on file
Please include the above information in a letter on your company letterhead, signed by a manager at your organization. If your company doesn't have letterhead, please be sure to include your company's mailing address and phone number in the letter. Also please note, the request needs to come from an email address in the company's domain.