Variants allow you to build multiple versions of the message you want to send and enable you to use different copy or even change the medium. For instance, you may want to create two separate emails, each going to half of the user segment being targeted in the campaign, to see which is more effective; or, you can send an email to a third of the user segment, but send an in-website push notification to another third, and a mobile push to the last third.
This article discusses the following topics:
Creating campaign variants
To create more than one version of a campaign, simply click the Add variant tab:
This opens a new channel selection pane, which you can configure as described in Working with channels.
Allocating campaign variants
If you select multiple variants, you can also choose how to distribute, or allocate, the variants among your users.
By default, Connect uses fixed allocation, which allows you to determine a set percentage of the targeted customers to receive each variant. Connect randomly selects the customers to receive each variant.
If you're creating a trigger-based campaign, you can choose auto allocation, which allows Connect to allocate new users to variants based on the variants performance.
You select and configure these options in the allocation panel, which appears below the variants. Additional variants are added to the panel as they are created:
Users who are placed under the control group will not receive a message, but are still counted toward goals.
Using fixed allocation
Fixed allocation is available for both trigger-based and broadcast campaigns. If your campaign is set to use a fixed allocation, Connect will allocate a set percentage (chosen by you) of your new users in the campaign to each variant. Once a user has been allocated to a variant, they will continue to receive that same variant (even if re-triggered) until you delete the variant or the campaign is paused.
To configure fixed allocation for campaign variants
- Create your campaign, as described in Creating a trigger-based campaign or Creating a broadcast campaign, and include two or more variants.
- In the User Allocation panel, click the percentage entry under Variant 1.
- Delete the number, and enter the percentage of customers you want to receive that campaign variant.
- Repeat for any other variants. The total of all variants, including a control group, must equal 100%
- (Optional) If you would like to include a control group, click Add control group.
- Complete your campaign.
Using auto allocation
Trigger-based campaigns can choose to use Connect’s auto-allocation algorithms, which are tuned to minimize the number of users that get the non-winning variants. What that means is that while your campaign may take longer to reach statistical significance, most users will have the better product experience. This technique is best used when:
- The pace of learning the best winning variant is less important than making sure that most of your users get the best variant.
- You would like to run a lot of tests and let Connect handle moving most users into the best messages. Set it, forget it, and move on to the next experiment.
If you use our auto allocation, Connect will allocate new users to variants based on the variant performance.
When a campaign is new, Connect will allocate users roughly equally to each variant. As each variant approaches a hundred users, the allocation will start to shift toward the variants with the better performance as defined by the conversion rate for the campaign’s primary goal.
The more confident our model gets about the performance delta amongst variants, the more opinionated it will get about the allocation and in the long-term, move nearly all of your users into the best performing allocation.
To use Connect's auto-allocation for campaign variants