Connect allows you to send and trigger behaviour-based proactive messages using user and event data. This data can come from different sources.
When you start a Connect trial using your Zendesk Support account, one of those data sources that comes out-of-the-box is Zendesk Support. When you start your trial and on an ongoing basis, the end-users in your Support account and certain events (things that they do), e.g. Create a Support Ticket, are automatically imported into Connect. More about the Support to Connect integration.
If you want to add data to Connect from another source, e.g. your own database or system using the the Connect APIs, from your mobile app or via Segment.com or Amplitude, you will likely be referencing some of the same users that are already present in Zendesk Support and now Connect.
- Jane Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org might exist in your Zendesk Support account and when you start your Connect trial, Jane Smith with her associated Zendesk user ID, email address and any other data will be created in Connect
- The same J Smith, email@example.com may also exist in your database where you have also have extra business data on like plan type and subscription
By default, two records for Jane Smith will be created in Connect, because the data has come from two different sources.
However, we can automatically merge or 'alias' these two Jane Smith users, one coming from Zendesk Support and one coming from another source, into one user, if they share the same email address, phone number or either email/phone number.
This automatic merging of users from Zendesk Support and other data sources is something that the Connect team can enable for your account, it is not enabled by default. We will need your answers to the checklist below, you can then send us a request at firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow the checklist below to help us enable the right settings for you:
1) Enable automatic merging of users from Support with other data sources?
Default: Disabled - gates all other steps below
- If a user comes in from a different data source, even with matching data, a new Connect user will be created, like in the two Jane Smiths example above.
- We can automatically merge users coming from Support and another data source so that only one Jane Smith exists in Connect.
- To do the automatic merging we need a common piece of data across both sources to merge on, the options are email, phone number or both, see steps 2), 3) and 4) below.
2) Automatically merge on email?
- A matching email address will be used to automatically merge user records
3) Automatically merge on phone number?
- A matching phone number will be used to automatically merge user records
4) Automatically merge on external ID?
- A matching external_id from Support and ID that comes in via the Connect API will be used to automatically merge user records
5) Automatically merge on any?
- When either a matching email address, phone number or external ID is seen, it will be used to automatically merge user records
6) Automatically merge users from three (or more) data sources?
- Automatic merging of users will continue to happen if a user sourced from Zendesk Support and two - or more - other data sources have a matching email/phone number (depending on step 2/3/4/5 configuration above). See diagram below.
- An automatic merge of two user records in Connect, one sourced from Zendesk Support and another from a different data source will only happen once. Any users with new distinct user IDs but a matching email address or phone number will create a new user record in Connect