Use this article if you use Insights, and are about to upgrade to Zendesk Explore.
If you are new to Explore, you can start learning basics by working through Getting started with Zendesk Explore. This article can help you to find some of the capabilities you might have used in Insights, and to start using Explore productively as soon as possible.
Learning the Explore workflow (Professional)
Additionally, Explore provides pre-built dashboards that contain many common queries to help you understand your business information.
1. Choose a data source
With Insights, when you create a report, your metrics and attributes for all products are found in the What column of the report builder.
In Explore, your Zendesk data is split into manageable blocks called datasets. Before you can begin to create reports, you must choose the dataset that contains the data for your product.
For details about how to choose your dataset, and to find out what datasets are available, see Working with datasets.
Frequently asked questions about datasets
- Can I combine the information from two datasets into one report?
Not currently, however, this is planned in the future.
- How can I find out what datasets are coming in the future?
To learn about new and upcoming datasets, see our announcements section.
- How do I find out what's in each dataset?
- Take a look at Working with datasets.
2. Create queries
The reports that you created with Insights are known as queries in Explore.
The method you use to construct queries is similar in both products. Use the following table to help you understand where you'll find the features you used in Insights now that you are migrating to Explore:
|Create a new report||Create a new query||Creating queries|
|Add metrics to the What panel||Add metrics to the Metrics panel||Adding metrics and attributes to your query|
|Add attributes to the How panel||Add attributes to the Columns or Rows panel||Adding metrics and attributes to your query|
|Click the Filter button to add filters||Add filter attributes in the Filters panel||Calculation types reference|
Finding metrics and attributes
If you've used Insights for a while, you're probably familiar with the articles Insights metrics reference, and Insights objects reference that help you find metrics and attributes that you can use in your custom reports.
In Explore, you'll find this information in Metric and attribute reference which gives you the metrics and attributes you can use, sorted by product.
After you review this article, if you can't find the metric or attribute you need, you might be able to configure your own. The article Creating basic calculated metrics and attributes can help get you off to a great start doing this.
Frequently asked questions about queries
- Do Insights reports work in Explore?
While you can't import an Insights report directly into an Explore query, most reports can be rewritten as a query.
- How do I find out what metrics and attributes I can use?
3. Create dashboards
The method you use to create a dashboard in Explore is similar to the method you used in Insights.
In Explore, you typically create a blank dashboard, and then add queries and other static or interactive elements to it. These are known as widgets.
A great article to start learning about dashboards in Explore is Getting started creating dashboards.
Frequently asked questions about dashboards
- Can I automatically migrate reports I created from Insights into Explore?
No. You will need to recreate these reports in Explore. Use the information in this topic, and in Getting started with Zendesk Explore to help you get started.
4. Share dashboards and reports
Explore gives you similar sharing capabilities as you used in Insights. Use the following table to find out where the option you used previously can be found in Explore:
|Emailing scheduled dashboards||Sharing dashboards through email|
|Emailing scheduled reports||Sharing dashboards through email|
|Setting permissions for dashboards and reports||Setting editor and admin permissions|
|Changing the schedule when a report is sent||Sharing dashboards through email|
|Exporting reports||Saving your query|
|Printing reports||Saving your query (export, then print the report)|
For more information, see Getting started sharing dashboards.
Frequently asked questions about sharing reports
- Can I share reports with anybody?
You can share to individuals, or groups, as long as they are registered in Zendesk Support.
- How do I print a report?
Currently, Explore does not provide built-in printing capabilities. However, you can export a dashboard to another format such as PDF, and then use the software of your choice to print it.
Viewing pre-built reports (Lite and Professional)
Just like with Insights, Explore includes a number of pre-built dashboards containing many commonly used reports.
To see what's available, in Explore, click the dashboards icon () in the left toolbar. You'll see a list of all pre-built dashboards as well as dashboards that others have created.
To find out more information about the available dashboards, see Getting started with pre-built dashboards.
Frequently asked questions about pre-built reports
- Can I edit a pre-built dashboard?
No, but you can clone the dashboard (and any queries it contains) to make a copy that you can edit. For details, see Cloning pre-built and shared dashboards.
Migrating existing reports from Insights to Explore (Professional)
The reports you created with Insights cannot be automatically imported into Explore. You need to recreate these in Explore.
- Evaluate your current Insights custom reports. You can minimize the work needed to migrate your reports by considering which Insights reports you really need. It's a great time to do some housekeeping!
- Take a look at Explore's pre-built dashboards. Do these contain reports that perform the same function as your existing custom reports?
To help you get used to creating queries in Explore, we've put together some recipes that will help you recreate common Insights reports in Explore. To explore all available recipes, see Zendesk Explore recipes.
Frequently asked questions about migrating reports
- How can I find out what's in the pre-built reports supplied with Explore?
The article Getting started with pre-built dashboards contains details about the pre-built dashboards that are currently available.
- I want to write a custom report. Where can I find the metrics and attributes I can use?
You'll find a complete list of metrics and attributes in Metric and attribute reference.
- I'm trying to write a report, but Explore doesn't have the metric or attribute I need. What now?
There is a lot more to Explore than you've read above. We encourage you to get to know the Explore documentation and also, to give us feedback. If you want to read more, start with the following articles:
The Explore community gives you a chance to interact with both the Explore team and other customers using the product. We love to hear from you!
Get started in the Explore community with the following resources:
- Ask a question: If there's anything you don't understand, or need help with, this is a great place to ask. Both the Zendesk team and other Explore experts hang out here, and can give you the help you need.
- Share a tip: Have you written a great query? Do you have a great tip for creating dashboards? Are you an Explore expert? Share your knowledge here!
- Make a suggestion: We are always improving our products to make your work easier and more productive. Many improvements come directly following feedback from you. While we can't promise to include every suggestion, we read all feedback.