Use this article to help you answer some of the most frequently asked questions about Zendesk Explore.
If there's a question you'd like to see on this page, tell us in the comments below. However, if your question is urgent, contact us using any of the normal channels.
This article contains the following topics:
- Where is the documentation?
Zendesk Explore resources is the best place to start.
- That's a lot of documentation! What's the best place to dive in?
If you already have some experience with Explore, Zendesk Explore resources will help you find your way around. If you've never tried Explore before take a look at our Getting started guide which will teach you all of the basics.
- How can I control which agents can access Explore?
Explore feature user roles and permissions that you can use to control which agents can access Explore, and the level of access they have. For more information, see Giving agents access to Explore.
- Can light agents access Explore?
Yes. You can share dashboards with light agents as long as they have the Viewer permission. For more information, see Giving agents access to Explore.
- Can I schedule report deliveries to people who don't have a Zendesk account?
Yes, if you have an Explore Enterprise or Explore Professional (Legacy) plan. For more information, see Sharing Explore dashboards outside Zendesk.
- How often does the data in an Explore report update?
The information in Explore dashboards is updated on a schedule. The schedule depends on which Explore plan you are using. For details, see Data refresh intervals for Explore plans.
- I want to write my own reports. Where do I find the metrics and attributes I need?
See our Understanding Explore datasets article for details about all of the data you can use to create reports.
- I created some custom ticket fields to collect extra information. Can I see these in Explore?
Yes. Explore synchronizes ticket, user, and organization custom fields. See Reporting with custom fields.
- Can I create reports based on ticket tags?
Yes. For information about how to do this and examples, see Reporting with tags.
- I can't see any dashboards. What's the problem?
If any of your agents with the viewer role can't see any dashboards, ensure that the dashboards have been shared with them. For details, see Getting started sharing dashboards. If you've just activated Explore and can't see the pre-built dashboards, ensure your own Explore account has the admin role (see Giving agents access to Explore).
- Only partial results are returned by my query and an error message is displayed. What's going on?
To limit performance issues, Explore currently returns only the first 50,000 rows from a query. To successfully run the query, consider using a filter to limit the results returned (see Adding metrics and attributes to queries).
- I'm trying to edit a query or to access the Explore calculations menu and I see the message "This resource is locked". What's the problem?
If two editors are creating or editing different queries in the same dataset, only the first person who opened a query can access the Calculations menu. The other editor will see the message “This resource is locked because it is currently being edited by <name>”. Once the first person closes the query, the Calculations menu will become available to the next editor. Additionally, to prevent conflicts, only one editor can edit the same query at a time.