User searches and user journeys are two ways you can locate information about your users. User search allows you to display a list of users based on search criteria; user journey is the full history of an individual user.
This article contains the following topics:
What is user search?
User search generates a list of users based on any combination of segmentation criteria:
- Event (and event property) history
- User attribute values
- Messages sent / not sent
- Campaign goals achieved / not achieved
All user activity is stored forever, meaning you can search on actions your users performed at any point in time.
You can access user search from the Campaign dashboard, by clicking the Users icon:
User Search enables the same filters that are available for building campaigns, allowing you to quickly discover and view user segments.
Once a search is running, you can leave the page and come back anytime; the search will continue to run in the background while you’re away. We also store your full search history and results on the left hand nav-bar, so you can easily revisit and rerun previous searches:
You can click the pencil icon next to a specific search to rename it. Additionally, you can delete old searches by clicking the trashcan icon.
Once the search is complete, we return a full list of the users that pass filters. You can also see the breakdown of how many users pass each individual filter above the search results:
What is user journey?
When you click on a user from a search, user journey shows the last 180 days of history for that user:
- Every event and user update we receive through the API (including the body of the API call).
- Every message Connect has sent to that user, including the rendered content (with variables) that the user received.
- If you want even more detail, you can turn on debug mode, which shows every message we attempted to send and why the message was not sent (i.e. the specific filter that failed to pass, rendering error, timeout, etc.