This recipe shows you how to analyze when tickets are created by time of day. This recipe can also be cloned from your pre-built Support Overview dashboard, and replaces the Insights Recipe of the same name.
What you'll need
Skill level: Easy
Time Required: 10 minutes
Zendesk Explore Professional
Editor or Admin permissions (see Adding users to Explore)
Ticket data in Zendesk Support
How to create the report in Explore
- In Explore, click the query ( ) icon.
- In the Queries Library, click New Query.
- On the Choose a Dataset page. choose the dataset containing the ticket data you'll need to build the query; in this case Support: Tickets.
Query Builder opens.
- Next, add your metrics, the things you want to measure. In this case, you'll add the number of tickets created. In the Metrics panel, click Add.
- From the Tickets section, select Tickets, and click Apply.
- In the Columns panel, click Add.
- From the Time - Ticket created section, add Ticket created - Hour, and click Apply.
Your query will look something like this:
This is a chart showing the distribution by hour of tickets created, for all tickets in your account. Now, you can make two refinements, to filter the results for a specific time period, and customise the appearance of the chart.
First, think about what would be a useful representative period to look at.
- In the Filters panel, click Add.
- From the Time - Ticket created section, add Ticket created - Year, and click Apply.
- In the Filters panel, click Ticket created - Year. From the drop-down list, click Edit date ranges.
You can choose a Simple date range such as this year, this week, or last month. Alternatively, you can access more date range options by clicking the Advanced tab.
- Choose your date range, then click Apply.
- Next, decide the visualization you want to use. The auto chart function likely chose an area chart for you, but you can change that if you want. Area, column and line charts are all useful for this kind of visualisation:
- Finally, configure your chart. There are many configuration options in the chart configuration menu. See Customizing queries for help getting started.