My agents update the subject line of our customer's tickets, but the customer says that the subject is still the same as when they submitted the ticket.
When a new ticket is created, the subject of the ticket is set to either:
- The contents of the subject field that was entered by the user.
- The first comment on the ticket.
The subject is determined by the permissions that you set for the Subject ticket field (Manage > Ticket Fields > Subject):
- Editable for end users: The subject can be seen and changed by your customers.
- Read-only for end users: The subject can be seen, but not changed, by your customers.
- Agent only: The subject can only be edited by the agent and changes to the subject are not seen by your end users. The end user will still see the original subject. The way this works is that when an end user cannot edit the subject, the first comment of that ticket becomes the subject. This means that the customer cannot create an explicit subject, but when their first comment is submitted, that becomes their subject.
In summary, if you want end users to be able to see ticket subject changes, but not edit them, set the ticket field to Read-only for end users.
For more information, see our guide on editing and managing ticket fields.