After you have created or inserted a content block in an article, you can edit, unlink, or remove the content block as needed.
Guide admins can manage content blocks. Agents can manage content blocks in articles where they have permission to edit.
Editing a content block
You can edit a content block from any article that is using it. Any changes you make to a content block will affect all articles that use that content block. After editing articles using the content block, their status sets to “In progress”. This means you must publish/republish the articles to reflect the changes in your help center.
To edit a content block
- Open the article that contains the content block you want to edit in edit mode.
- Hover over the content block, then click the options menu () and select Edit.
- Make any changes you need to.
You can edit the name of the block or any text in the content block. You can reformat the content using the dialog toolbar, for example, by adding bold or inserting a link.
- Click Update all articles.
Your updates are saved, and visible in all articles that use the content block and need to be republished to reflect the changes.
Unlinking a content block
If you want to include content from a content block in an article, and want to modify it without affecting other articles that use the same content block, you must unlink the content block. Then the content block text is inserted into the article as regular text.
To unlink a content block
- Open the article that contains the content block you want to unlink in edit mode.
- Hover over the content block, then click the options menu () and select Unlink.
The content block becomes regular text and is no longer a content block.
If you unlink a content block, it is represented in the source code as an alphanumeric ID and not as regular HTML. In the following example the highlighted content block will be unlinked.
After unlinking the content block, the section of text is represented in HTML as an alphanumeric ID.
Removing a content block
If you want to remove a content block from the article completely, use the remove option.
To remove a content block
- Open the article that contains the content block you want to remove in edit mode.
- Hover over the content block, then click the options menu () and select Remove.
The content block disappears from the article. The content block itself is not affected. It remains in any other articles where it is being used and is still available for reuse.