You must be a Guide admin to manage content blocks as you must have admin permissions to access the central repository of content blocks. Agents can manage content blocks in articles where they have permission to edit.
Viewing your content blocks list
If you are using content blocks in your articles, you can manage them from the content blocks list You can see all of the content blocks that have been created in the account, when they were last edited, and in how many articles they are being used. From the list you can also edit or delete content blocks.
To view your content blocks list
- In Guide, click the Manage articles icon () in the sidebar.
- Under Tasks, click Content blocks.
- Click a content block to see more information about that block.
A sidebar appears listing all of the articles that the content block is being used in, as well as the current status that they are in.
Editing a content block
You can edit a content block from any article that is using it. Any changes you make to a content block will affect all articles that use that content block. After editing articles using the content block, their status sets to “In progress”. This means you must publish/republish the articles to reflect the changes in your help center.
Both agents and admins can make changes to content blocks.
To edit a content block
- Open the article that contains the content block you want to edit in Edit mode.
- Hover over the content block you want to edit, click the Options menu icon () then click Edit.
- Make any necessary changes.
You can edit the name of the block or any text in the content block. If you want to reformat the content (such as adding bold or inserting a link), use the dialog toolbar.
- Click Update all articles.
Your updates are saved, and visible in all articles that use the content block. You must republish these articles to reflect the changes.
Unlinking a content block
If you want to include content from a content block in an article, and want to modify it without affecting other articles that use the same content block, you must unlink the content block. Then the content block text is inserted into the article as regular text.
To unlink a content block
- Open the article that contains the content block you want to unlink in edit mode.
- Hover over the content block, click the Options menu icon () then click Unlink.
The content block becomes regular text and is no longer a content block.
If you unlink a content block, it is represented in the source code as an alphanumeric ID and not as regular HTML. In the following example the highlighted content block will be unlinked.
After unlinking the content block, the section of text is represented in HTML as an alphanumeric ID.
Removing a content block
If you want to remove a content block from the article completely, use the remove option.
To remove a content block
- Open the article that contains the content block you want to remove in edit mode.
- Hover over the content block, click the Options menu icon () then click Remove.
The content block disappears from the article. The content block is not affected, it remains in any other articles where it is being used and is still available for reuse.
Deleting a content block
When you delete a content block it is permanent and you cannot restore it afterwards. It’s only possible to delete a content block if it is not being used in any of the articles in your Knowledge Base.
Only Admins can delete content blocks.
To delete a content block
- Hover over the content block that you want to delete, click the Options menu icon () then click Delete.
- If the content block is still being used in any articles, you’ll see a notification that it has to be removed from them first. Use the link to see a list of the articles.
- Click Delete content block.