Amazon EventBridge is an event bus service which consumes event data streaming from Zendesk. Events received in Amazon EventBridge can be redirected to AWS services such as AWS Lambda, Amazon SNS, Amazon SQS, and Amazon Kinesis streams. This allows event-driven applications to be built which can subscribe and react to Zendesk events.
This architecture reduces dependencies and overhead from API based integrations and API management. The Zendesk Events Connector provides the connection to Amazon EventBridge to stream Zendesk event data.
To set up a connection between the events connector and Amazon EventBridge, you will need an AWS account. Then you configure your Zendesk event source in the Zendesk Admin Center and associate a new event bus with the Zendesk event source in Amazon EventBridge.
Configuring the Zendesk event source
The events connector is available in your Zendesk Admin Center when on a supported plan and add-on.
To configure your Zendesk event source
- In Amazon EventBridge, go to Events > Partner event sources, click Set up under the Zendesk partner listing. It opens the Set up event source page.
- In Step 1: Copy your AWS account information, click Copy to copy your AWS account number to your clipboard.
- Go to your Zendesk Admin Center and select Admin Center > Integrations.
- Click Connect in Events Connector for Amazon Eventbridge to open the page to configure your Zendesk event source.
- Paste the AWS account ID that you copied in Step 2 in the Amazon Web Services account ID field.
- In Amazon Web Services region drop-down field, select the AWS region to receive events.
- In Event types, select the event types you want to send to Amazon EventBridge.
Note: Currently, only Zendesk Support type events are available with more event types being added in the future. For more information about what events are available, see Events schema for Amazon EventBridge.
- Click Connect. The event source name can take a few minutes to appear in Amazon EventBridge.
Associating the Zendesk event source to the event bus
To establish an event connection to Amazon EventBridge, your Zendesk event source needs to be associated to the event bus in Amazon EventBridge. The Zendesk event source created will be displayed in Amazon EventBridge > Partner events sources. You can then select the event source name and associate it to an event bus.
To associate an event source to the event bus
- Sign in to the AWS Management Console as an IAM user with admin permissions.
- In Amazon EventBridge > Events > Partner event sources, select the partner event source name, and in the upper-right of the page, click Associate with event bus .
- Leave the permissions settings as-is, then click Associate. It may take a minute or two for this process to be completed.
Once a connection is established, Zendesk events will begin streaming from Zendesk to Amazon EventBridge. You can set rules and targets in Amazon EventBridge to determine which Zendesk events are redirected to an AWS service. To learn more about creating a rule and target for Zendesk events, see the tutorial Publishing SNS notifications for Zendesk ticket events.
Deleting an event connection
When deleting an event connection, you must first delete an event rule associated with an event bus in AWS EventBridge before deleting the event bus. If it is not done first, an event bus cannot be deleted.
- In Admin Center > Integrations under Amazon Web Services, click Configure.
- Disconnect the event source in the Zendesk Connector interface by clicking Disconnect.
- Confirm to disconnect the event source. A notification confirming event source disconnection is displayed, and events will immediately stop streaming. It can take up to 20 seconds for the event source status to register as disconnected in Amazon EventBridge.
- In Amazon EventBridge, delete the rule associated with the event bus. For more information, see Deleting or Disabling an EventBridge Rule.
- Remove the event bus in the AWS Event Console. For more information, see the Amazon EventBridge documentation.