Are agent roles in Support and Chat connected or are they managed independently? Can I be an Admin in Chat and just an Agent in Support? Or do I have to have the same role in Chat and Support?
If you have an integrated Chat and Support account, there are multiple different places where an agent's role is managed:
- In the agent's profile in Support: from the Support product go to Admin Icon > Manage > People > Agents and select the agent.
- Under the Role dropdown at the top of the agent profile's sidebar in Support.
- Under the Permissions dropdown under the Zendesk Chat toggle on an agent's profile in Support
- In the Chat dashboard settings: from the Chat dashboard go to Settings
- Go to Agents > select the agent's profile. Under the Role dropdown in an agent's profile Chat.
- Go to Roles > select the role you'd like to view or customize. See more in this article: Creating custom Chat roles and assigning users
If your agent has the Administrator role, their role in Support and Chat are linked and can only be managed in the agent's Support profile. For more information see the article: Why is the option to change my chat agent's role or permissions greyed out?
If your agent is NOT an administrator, their role settings are NOT linked between Support and Chat and are managed independently.
Learn more in these articles:
- Understanding Zendesk Support user roles
- Understanding default roles in Zendesk Chat
- Creating and updating agents in Chat