This article describes how you can add Facebook Messenger channels to the Zendesk Agent Workspace from Admin Center. Facebook is a popular social networking site that you can use for public messaging with your customers. Facebook Messenger is a social messaging application from Facebook that you can use for private messaging instead, if needed.
This article includes these sections:
- Overview of steps to add Facebook Messenger to the agent workspace
- Adding a Facebook Messenger channel to the agent workspace
- Next steps
- Social messaging resources
- About messaging channels for the Zendesk Agent Workspace
- Receiving and sending messages in the Zendesk Agent Workspace
- Using the Message Us button to guide users to your WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger channel
Overview of steps to add Facebook Messenger to the agent workspace
If you have a new Zendesk Support Suite account with the Zendesk Agent Workspace enabled, you can add Facebook Messenger channels to the Zendesk Agent Workspace from Admin Center. You must be an administrator to add Facebook Messenger channels.
You need to do the following, in this order:
- Add your Facebook Messenger channels to the Zendesk Agent Workspace from Admin Center.
- Set up auto-responders for your Facebook channels.
- Set up triggers, automations, and views for your Facebook Messenger channels.
- Make sure that your agents are set up to use the channels (Getting started for administrators in the Zendesk Agent Workspace).
After you complete these steps, you can then configure public messaging with Facebook, if needed. This is a separate, additional task that you must complete from your Support admin settings (instead of Admin Center). For information about setting up public messaging with Facebook, see Setting up your Facebook channel.
For information about the number of Facebook Messenger channels you are allowed to add, see Facebook limits with Support. For information about using Facebook Messenger channels, see Receiving and sending messages in the Zendesk Agent Workspace.
Adding a Facebook Messenger channel to the agent workspace
Before you add Facebook Messenger channels to the Zendesk Agent Workspace, make sure you have already disabled your current Facebook Messenger integration and closed your Facebook Messenger tickets.
To add a Facebook Messenger channel to the Zendesk Agent Workspace
- In any product, click the Zendesk Products icon () in the top bar, then select Admin Center.
- Click the Channels icon ( ) in the left sidebar.
- Click Add channel and select Facebook Messenger from the drop-down.
- From the Add Facebook Messenger screen, click Continue with Facebook.
- When prompted, log into your Facebook account. Follow the on-screen instructions to authorize Zendesk Support to use your Facebook account.
Select all of your pages, or the integration will not work.
- On the Add Facebook Messenger screen, choose a Facebook page from the drop-down list and then click Next.
- Click Add channel.
When the channel connects successfully, a Channel added message appears.
- Enter a channel name. If your account has multiple brands, use the Brand dropdown to select one to associate with the channel.
- Click Save settings.
After you add Facebook Messenger channels to the Zendesk Agent Workspace, you may need to complete these additional tasks:
Adjust your Facebook Messenger business rules and views (see Setting triggers, automations, and views for social messaging).
When using Facebook Messenger with the Zendesk Agent Workspace, you need condition statements that read Channel + Is + Facebook Messenger and Brand + is + [selected brand].
Do not use Facebook Private Message in your condition statements. Only customers that are using Facebook Messenger with Support and that haven’t enabled the Zendesk Agent Workspace need to use this condition.
Make sure your agents are set up to use the channel (see Getting started for administrators in the Zendesk Agent Workspace).
Add your Facebook accounts to your Admin settings in Support, if you want to send and receive public messages from Facebook pages. Follow the steps in Setting up your Facebook channel.
Make sure you understand what happens if you decide to disable the Zendesk Agent Workspace later on (see Disabling the agent workspace).
This section describes some important limitations about using Facebook Messenger in the Zendesk Agent Workspace.
Facebook Messenger channels that are added to the Zendesk Agent Workspace from Admin Center do not support public messaging. If you want to perform public messaging with a Facebook account, you must also add the account to Support from your Support admin settings. When you do, make sure that the Include private messages setting remains disabled.
If an end user sends you both public and private Facebook messages, duplicate user profiles are created for the same user. For example, there will be profiles from public messages to channels that were configured in your Support admin settings, and others from private messages channels that were configured in Admin Center. You will need to merge these profiles manually (see Merging a user’s duplicate account).
Profiles associated with private messages do not include the user’s Facebook ID.
For Facebook Messenger channels in the Zendesk Agent Workspace, do not use the Facebook Private Message condition in your business rules and views. Use the Facebook Messenger condition for these channels instead. For more information, see What's next?.