This article describes how Chat tags are supported in the Zendesk Agent Workspace. If enabled by an admin, Chat tags are labels you add to chat sessions to help you categorize and sort your website's chat sessions so you can better understand your traffic and support needs.
About Chat tags
Zendesk Chat offers two different types of tags to categorize your visitors and chat sessions:
- Chat tags contain information about the specific content of a chat session.
You can use either or both types of tags to better understand your chat traffic. There are important differences in how these types of tags are added, stored, and displayed. For more information, see Understanding different types of tags in Chat and Setting up Chat tags.
Using Chat tags in the Zendesk Agent Workspace
In the Zendesk Agent Workspace, tags from all sources appear in one place.
- During a conversation, agents can add tags manually in the Tags field or automatically through shortcuts or macros.
- When the conversation ends, agents can continue to add tags until the ticket is closed.
- If an agent transfers the chat to another online agent or group, tags remain in the Tags field.
- Ticket fields, including new tags, are saved when the chat is transferred. If a change in a ticket field activates a business rule, the business rule takes precedence over the transfer.
- Tags that agents add manually in the Tags field of the ticket interface do not show up on the Chat dashboard. Tags added through APIs and tags added by triggers do appear on the dashboard.
Adding tags manually
Agents can manually add tags to tickets during or after a Chat conversation. Depending on your support workflow, you might want to add tags to provide more context for the request so that tickets can be viewed and tracked, or processed by your account's business rules.
- To add tags manually
- In a ticket, enter new tags into the Tags field as needed. Enter a space after each tag.
For more information, see Adding tags to tickets.
Using shortcuts to add tags
Admins can add tags to shortcuts so that when agents use the shortcut, the tags are applied to the chat. For details about adding tags to shortcuts, see Adding tags to shortcuts.
- Start typing a shortcut or a slash (/) to view all shortcuts.
- Insert a shortcut by clicking it or selecting it and pressing Enter.
When you select the shortcut, the tags appear in the Tags field of the ticket.
- You can delete tags by clicking the X next to the tag.
Using macros to add tags
Agents and admins can also use the Set tags action statement in macros to include tags in tickets and apply them to a Chat. Agents can add them in personal macros and admins can add them in shared marcos and personal macros.