I selected a drop-down option for the Field Type of my custom field and now I cannot change the field type. How do I change the Field Type of a custom field in Sell?
It is not possible to change the Field Type of a custom field once created.
- If there is no data in the current custom field, delete the custom field, create a new one, and populate the field with data.
- If the current custom field is populated with data and the Field Type needs to be changed, you will need to migrate the data.
Migrate custom field data:
Create a new custom field, migrate the data to that field, and then remove the legacy field following these steps:
- Export the data and prepare the legacy custom field
- Create a new custom field and import your CSV
- Review the update and remove the old custom field
Step 1: Export the data and prepare the legacy custom field
- Export a smart list of only the legacy custom field and record names into a CSV file
(Your smart list should only have two columns and should be filtered for only records with the custom field filled out)
- Navigate to your Settings
- Enter the leads, contacts, or deals section and click on the Fields tab
- Click Edit on your legacy custom field
- Check the box on the legacy custom field for Value editable only by admin and rename it “legacy” so users cannot update the field
Step 2: Create a new custom field and import your CSV
- Create a new custom field with the correct Field Type
- Prepare your CSV so that the legacy custom field data is formatted and aligns with the new field type. Your CSV file should have a record ID column so that when you import the file back into your account the data maps to existing records
- Import your CSV using Sell's batch import functionality. Select only the record ID and the custom field to make sure the new data field is populated with your legacy data.