WhatsApp recently announced a pricing-related policy change that will affect how you are charged. This change goes into effect February 1, 2022 and impacts all businesses using WhatsApp.
What does this mean?
Starting February 1, 2022, WhatsApp will change its pricing to a conversation-based model. Businesses will be charged per conversation going forward.
Depending on your number of conversations, you may incur usage-based fees in addition to any other WhatsApp-related charges you may already be paying.
See here for a detailed explanation on how the new pricing policy works.
What is a WhatsApp “conversation”?
- A WhatsApp conversation consists of messages exchanged between you and your customers. They fall into two categories that are priced differently:
- User-initiated (think customer care and general support inquiries)
- Business-initiated (think post-purchase notifications)
- All conversations are measured in 24-hour increments, or "sessions."
- A session starts upon delivery of a business reply to a user-initiated message or delivery of a business-initiated message to a user, and ends 24 hours later.
How are conversations charged?
- Charges are based on the end user’s phone number and rates vary by market. Click here for details.
- The first 1,000 conversations each month are free.
- Any customers with more than 1,000 conversations per month will incur additional fees.
- Usage that incurs charges for a given month will be billed in arrears after month-end.
The following video provides an overview of the conversation metrics and charges for conversation-based pricing that will become available through the Insights tab of WhatsApp Manager starting on Feb 01, 2022:
WhatsApp Business Account Insights: New conversation metrics (2:36)
What is the difference between the current and the new WhatsApp pricing model?
How does this change my contract with Zendesk?
Your Zendesk agreement is not affected by this change.
Who is affected by this change?
This change affects all Zendesk customers who have an active WhatsApp integration, regardless of subscription plan or add-on license. Any account with an estimate of more than 1,000 conversations will be impacted by this new pricing model.
What do I need to do?
Zendesk is actively working with WhatsApp to streamline this process, and therefore no action is required on your part. This change will happen automatically, and you will see the new usage-based fee on your next invoice after it goes into effect. Please note that you will receive a quarterly invoice for usage going forward, regardless of the billing cycle you are on (e.g., monthly, quarterly, or annual).Please contact us if you have questions or need additional support.