Admins and agents with permissions can create custom user fields and add them to user profiles to store additional customer details. Custom user fields are visible to all agents and are editable by agents with access to all tickets. End users cannot see or edit custom user fields. Any custom user fields you create apply to all users.
Using custom user fields
- Triggers and automations (see Automatically tagging tickets from specific users and organizations)
- Placeholders to reference custom user fields in macros, ticket comments, and notification messages (see Placeholders for custom fields)
- Search (see Searching custom user and organization fields)
- Reporting, on Suite Professional and Enterprise plans (see Reporting with custom fields)
Adding custom user fields
You can create the following types of custom user fields:
- Drop-down list
- Multi-line text
- Regular expression
- In Admin Center, click the People icon () in the sidebar, then select Configuration > User fields.
- Click Add field and then enter a name and select the field type for the new field.
- Verify that the field key is the value you want it to be.
A field key enables the custom field to be referenced in placeholders and the API. When you enter a name for the field, the field key is automatically populated. If you want the name and key to be different, you must edit the field key. You can't change the field key after you create the custom user field.
- (Optional) Add a description for the custom user field.
- Set other properties for your field. Options vary depending on the type of field you are adding.
If you are adding a drop-down list, you can have up to six levels of organization (see Organizing drop-down list options).
- Click Create field.
New user fields are active by default and are added to all users.
- After you create a new filed, you can click Edit order and then click and drag rows to adjust the order of your custom user fields.