This article describes some current limitations in functionality for web and mobile messaging. If you're planning a move from live chat to messaging, see Migrating from live chat to messaging for capability changes to consider. Keep in mind that messaging does provide some capabilities that live chat does not. For a list of these features, see Messaging vs live chat: Which is right for you?
Note that these limitations are applicable to the messaging default settings. Some may be managed using other methods, which are included in the limitation descriptions
This article contains the following sections:
General functionality limitations
The following limitations apply to optional functionality additions and integrations available in live chat, but not currently available for messaging.
- Service-level agreements: Time-based SLAs (First Reply Time, Next Reply Time, and Periodic Updates) are not supported for messaging tickets, as SLAs do not work reliably as agents typically don’t change the ticket status after each reply. However, status-based SLAs are supported.
- Skills-based routing: You cannot route messaging conversations based on agent skills; however, other routing options are available.
- Sell integration: While the Sell integration is currently unavailable, messaging agents can continue to create Leads in Sell from the Agent Workspace.
- Third-party integrations: Some external Chat-Support integrations will not function on accounts migrating from live chat to messaging. Contact Zendesk customer support for assistance, if needed.
- Banning visitors: Web Widget and messaging functionality cannot be restricted per-customer or by IP address. However, Sunshine Conversations SDK does provide a workaround.
- Multi-agent conversations: Conversations cannot be served by more than one agent at a time.
- Conversion tracking: Business goals cannot be set based on conversion tracking.
- Visitor metadata: Visitor metadata is not collected.
- Private file attachments: Agents and customers can add public attachments of up to 50MB; however, private attachments are not currently supported. See Working with attachments for more information.
- No support for the Data Center Location add-on: Data residency for non-US and EU customers will be available in the future.
- Chat shortcuts with dynamic content: You can use Chat shortcuts in messaging conversations, but Chat shortcuts with options or dynamic content are not supported.
The following limitations apply to Chat and other API functionality.
- Chat Conversation APIs: Most CCAPIs will continue to work as expected. CCAPI-based chatbots, however, may be impacted, depending on your messaging configuration.
Some messaging capabilities have the following volume restrictions.
- Do not exceed 1,300 online Chat agents actively serving chats. If necessary, you can have up to 2,000 Chat agents actively serving chats, but you will need to reduce the number of concurrent chats served on your account to prevent potential performance degradation.
- 4,000 concurrent conversations/with 200,000 total conversations per day.
- 500 configured integrations (web/mobile/social).
- 2,000 steps/nodes in a messaging bot.
The following list contains limitations applicable to messaging implementations in the iOS, Android, and Unity SDKs.
- UI customization: It is possible to modify a small set of UI colors in the Admin Center. There are currently no customization options beyond this. We will be adding additional customization capabilities in the future.
- Active conversations: Agents are limited to one active conversation per channel. To access another conversation, they must leave the initial conversation, or end the conversation by closing the associated ticket.