This article describes some current limitations in functionality for web and mobile messaging. If you're planning a move from live chat to messaging, see Migrating from live chat to messaging for capability changes to consider. Keep in mind that messaging does provide some capabilities that live chat does not. For a list of these features, see Messaging vs live chat: Which is right for you?
Note that these limitations are applicable to the messaging default settings. Some may be managed using other methods, which are included in the limitation descriptions
This article contains the following sections:
General functionality limitations
The following limitations apply to optional functionality additions and integrations available in live chat, but not currently available for messaging.
- Skills-based routing: You cannot route conversations based on agent skills; however, other routing options are available.
- Sell integration: While the Sell integration is currently unavailable, messaging agents can continue to create Leads in Sell from the Agent Workspace.
- Third-party integrations: External Chat-Support integrations will not function after migrating to messaging.
- Banning visitors: Web Widget and messaging functionality cannot be restricted per-customer or by IP address. However, Sunshine Conversations SDK does provide a workaround.
- Multi-agent conversations: Conversations cannot be served by more than one agent at a time.
- Proactive triggers: Messaging is currently reactive-only. The Web Widget cannot open without direct customer action. However, Sunshine Conversations does provide a workaround.
- Conversion tracking: Business goals cannot be set based on conversion tracking.
- Visitor metadata: Visitor metadata is not collected.
- Private file attachments: Agents and customers can add public attachments of up to 50MB; however, private attachments are not currently supported. See Working with attachments for more information.
- No support for the Data Center Location add-on: Data residency for non-US and EU customers will be available in the future.
- Chat shortcuts: You can use Chat shortcuts in messaging conversations, but Chat shortcuts with options or dynamic content are not supported.
- Accept button: When messaging is turned on, the Accept button is only activated if the account has at least two agents. If there is only one agent, requests are assigned directly to the agent and only a desktop notification is provided.
- Nested dropdown fields: Nested fields are not supported in answers.
The following limitations apply to Chat and other API functionality.
- Chat Conversation APIs (CCAPI): Most CCAPIs will continue to work as expected. However, CCAPI-based chatbots may be impacted, depending on your messaging configuration.
The following limitations apply to conversation performance.
- Delay in ending conversations: Conversations that result in a ticket end when the ticket associated with them is closed. Because the automations responsible for ticket closure run on an hourly basis, a conversation may remain active for up to an hour after closure. You can use triggers to manage ticket closure timing.
- Conversation transcripts: Because messaging conversations are persistent, downloadable conversation transcripts are not available. Customers and agents can view past conversations within the Web Widget and Agent Workspace, respectively.
- Variables in conversation bots: When used in the Make API call step type, variables are limited to 280 characters each.
Some messaging capabilities have the following volume restrictions.
- Do not exceed 1,300 online Chat agents actively serving chats. If necessary, you can have up to 2,000 Chat agents actively serving chats, but you will need to reduce the number of concurrent chats served on your account to prevent potential performance degradation.
- 4,000 concurrent conversations/with 200,000 total conversations per day.
- 500 configured integrations (web/mobile/social).
- 1,000 steps/nodes in a messaging bot.
The following list contains limitations applicable to messaging implementations in the iOS, Android, and Unity SDKs.
- Conversation history : The conversation history is limited to the last 100 messages. We expect to remove this limitation, and provide complete conversation history capabilities in Q2, 2021.
- UI customization: It is possible to modify a small set of UI colors in the Admin Center. There are currently no customization options beyond this. We will be adding additional customization capabilities in the future.
- Active conversations: Agents are limited to one active conversation per mobile device. To access another conversation, they must leave the initial conversation, or end the conversation by closing the associated ticket.
Conversation observers: It is not possible to retrieve data on certain aspects of the conversation, such as:
- The number of unread messages
- The availability of agents
- The customer’s position in the queue to speak to an agent.