November 16, 2021 (Suite and Support + Chat customers)
Jun 22, 2022 (All customers except Sunshine Conversations integration users)
January 31, 2023
Zendesk is removing the legacy Social Messaging App on January 31, 2023.
If you are using the legacy Social Messaging App, you will need to migrate to Zendesk Agent Workspace and use the improved social messaging experience, as outlined in this announcement.
We will announce a later removal date for customers using Sunshine Conversations to integrate social channels into their Zendesk configuration soon.
This article covers the following topics:
- What does this mean?
- Why is Zendesk removing this?
- Am I affected?
- What do I need to do?
- What happens if I didn't migrate before the removal date?
- Frequently asked questions
- What should I do if I'm not using the legacy Social Messaging App and I don't want to migrate?
- What new features does Zendesk Agent Workspace have that the legacy Social Messaging App doesn't?
- Is there feature parity between the legacy Social Messaging App and Social Messaging experience on Zendesk Agent Workspace?
- Who should I contact if I need help or have questions?
What does this mean?
Zendesk has built an improved social messaging experience in the Zendesk Agent Workspace, which unifies all of your channels in one conversational interface. As a result, we plan to remove the legacy Zendesk Social Messaging App on January 31, 2023.
We encourage you to get a head start by migrating to Agent Workspace and setting up social messaging well before this change goes into effect to prevent disruption to your workflow. This will also allow you to continue using your favorite messaging channels and give you plenty of time to try out this new experience. See What do I need to do? for migration instructions.
Why is Zendesk removing this?
Connecting with customers using the social channels they prefer is more important than ever. That’s why we’ve added Social Messaging within our new Agent Workspace to provide a better, more integrated experience when using channels like WhatsApp, WeChat, LINE, Facebook Messenger, and Twitter DM. You’ll also gain access to new channels like Instagram DM and have the ability to configure your own bot and deploy it across multiple channels at once. Agent Workspace allows agents to manage all of their conversations from a simple, unified interface, making it easier to provide faster and more personalized support to your customers.
Am I affected?
If you are currently using the legacy Social Messaging App, without the Sunshine Conversation integration, your account is affected.
What do I need to do?
To move to the new social messaging experience, you’ll need to:
- Migrate to the Agent Workspace. The workspace provides a single interface for agents to manage incoming support requests from every channel enabled on your account.
- Migrate your social messaging channels. After you’ve migrated to the Agent Workspace, you can move your social channels over too.
- See Migrating social messaging channels to the Zendesk Agent Workspace for a walkthrough of this migration process.
- See About messaging channels in the Zendesk Agent Workspace for an agent-focused, messaging-specific overview of the new interface.
- Purchase a Suite account, OR
- Purchase at least one full Chat seat
What happens if I didn't migrate before the removal date?
If you are currently using the legacy Social Messaging App and do not migrate by January 31, 2023, you will lose the connection between Zendesk and your Social Messaging channels. This means comments and messages left for your business in these channels will no longer be converted to tickets, and you will no longer receive any notifications through the social messaging notifier.
Frequently asked questions
What should I do if I'm not using the legacy Social Messaging App and I don't want to migrate?
If you are currently a Suite or Support + Chat customer and not using the legacy Social Messaging App then you do not have to migrate. However, you will lose Social Messaging functionalities once we remove the app on January 31, 2023, and if you choose to use Social Messaging later on you, will need to migrate to Zendesk Agent Workspace.
What new features does Zendesk Agent Workspace have that the legacy Social Messaging App doesn't?
The Workspace delivers a unified conversation experience, providing your agents with a complete picture of their interactions with customers. For more information, see About messaging channels in the Zendesk Agent Workspace.
Is there feature parity between the legacy Social Messaging App and Social Messaging experience on Zendesk Agent Workspace?
Yes, and we are working on delivering even more new features for the Zendesk Agent Workspace Social Messaging experience
Who should I contact if I need help or have questions?
As always, please contact us if you have questions or need additional support.