The audit log shows various changes in your Zendesk account since the account was created. It saves a record of these changes indefinitely, and you can view the entire change history. You can view the audit log in Admin Center or via the Support API.
This article contains the following sections:
About the audit log changes
Changes captured in the audit log
The audit log shows changes to the following areas:
- Account information and settings
- Web Widget
- Business rules
- Ticket settings
Audit log entries
For each entry in the audit log, the following information is included:
|Time||Time and date the event occurred|
|Actor||User or system that caused the event|
|IP address||IP address of the user who caused the event|
|Item||Object changed by the actor|
|Activity type||Type of action for the event (Created, Updated, Deleted, Exported, or Signed in)|
|Activity||Details about the event|
In the Zendesk API and Zendesk Support, audit log timestamps appear in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). In Admin Center, audit log timestamps are shown in your account's time zone. See Setting your account's time. If you are unsure of what time the audit log is using, hover your mouse pointer over the information icon in the Time column heading.
Viewing the audit log in Admin Center
Filtering the audit log
Often, only part of the picture is available when you visit the audit log. For example, you might know when something changed (but not what) or who changed something (but not when). Since the audit log can include a large volume of events, filtering makes it easier to find what you’re looking for.
While top audit events are available as filters, not all event types can be filtered. Additional audit events will be added over time.
To filter the audit log
- In Admin Center, click Account in the sidebar, then select Audit log > Audit log.
- Click the Time column to sort the entries by date.
- To use more filters, click Filter.
Additional filters appear in a side drawer.
- To find entries within a specific date range, enter a Start date and End date.
Enter a name in the Actor field to filter by the people or systems responsible for the activities.
- Select an Activity type to filter entries by the action type (Created, Updated, Deleted, Exported, or Signed In).
- Use the filters in the Item section to filter by a specific
setting, user, or business rule that has changed.
- In the Type field, select or search the generic item type you want to filter by (for example, "Trigger").
- In the Names field, select or search for the specific items you want to filter by (for example, the trigger named "Notify assignee of comment update").
- Click Apply filters.
Exporting the audit log
You can export a CSV formatted copy of the audit log. If you filter the list before starting the export, the CSV file is also filtered this way. The exported copy is emailed to your primary Zendesk email address.
To export a copy of the audit log