How do I use Google Groups as a support address?
To set up Google Groups as a support address, you need to be a Google Workspace administrator and a Zendesk Support administrator.
Warning: This article is provided for instructional purposes only. Google Workspace, email aliases, and distribution groups are not supported for use. Zendesk does not support or guarantee this method works correctly, nor is able to troubleshoot any issues caused by the use of a Google Group. Use this workflow at your own risk, and post any issues you have in the comments section or try searching for a solution online. You can also view Google's documentation on this method if you get stuck.
To set up within the G Suite admin console
- Navigate to the Google Workspace Admin Console, while logged in as Admin, and click More controls. Next, click the Google Groups icon at the bottom of the page.
- Select the Group or email that you are adding as a support address, and click Manage users info.
- Remove all users if there are any. Next, add your default support system address as the sole member, support@YOURSUBDOMAIN.zendesk.com.
- Remove the footer by going to Group Settings in the upper right of the page. Then, on the left under Settings, click Email options and unselect the Email footer option.
- In Basic Permissions, make sure that the setting POST is set to Public.
To add the email as a support address within Zendesk Support
- In Admin Center, click Channels in the sidebar, then select Talk and email > Email.
- Click Add Address.
- Select Connect other. This option circumvents a SMTP check that standard emails go through.
If you added the support address prior to setting up the forwarding, click Retry under the support address to resend the verification email.
For more information about setting up a support address, see the article: Adding support addresses for users to submit tickets.
For the past 10 years this worked like a champ. Now when I send an email through zendesk, google is sending an email back to the zendesk email address creating a duplicate message in zendesk which also triggers to re-open the ticket.
Hi Sean Morrissey,
Let's work this out on a ticket so we can investigate why it creates a duplicate message that triggers the ticket to be re-opened.
Sean Morrissey - did you find a resolution? I am setting up a new instance. I used Google Groups in the past (also 8+ years ago) but am on the fence about whether to do the same or use a dedicated Gmail account / inbox.
maybe better to set with a routing rule in google workspace instead of handling with google groups
Please sign in to leave a comment.