The Zendesk Agent Workspace enables agents to manage Support, Chat, Talk, and messaging conversations within the same interface. Administrators can enable or disable this workspace for their Zendesk account.
This article contains the following sections:
Preparing to enable or disable
Before you can enable the agent workspace for the first time on an existing account, you'll need to migrate your Chat departments into groups. For details, see Migrating to the Zendesk Agent Workspace.
- For some new accounts created after July 28, 2020, the workspace may already be enabled by default and you don't need to migrate.
- For some larger, high-volume accounts, you may need to work with someone from Zendesk to enable the workspace and migrate your account. We provide a checklist to help you determine if your account is a good fit for migration.
The agent workspace is an account-wide setting that impacts all the agents on your account. You cannot enable or disable it for certain agents. When you enable or disable the agent workspace, agents must refresh their browsers to see the change. Make sure your agents wrap up any chats, calls, or unsaved tickets when you enable or disable this feature. Otherwise, unsaved ticket replies, ongoing chats, and call recordings may be lost. When the workspace is enabled, Chat tickets cannot be updated using the Support mobile app.
If you prefer, you can test out the migration on a Sandbox account first. This gives you time to try out the agent workspace and train your agents before using the workspace in a production environment.
Enabling the agent workspace
To enable the agent workspace
- In Admin Center, click the Workspaces icon () in the sidebar, then select Agent
> Agent interface.
If you have trouble enabling the workspace from Admin Center, try enabling it from Support > Admin > Settings > Agents.
- In the Agent workspace section, select the Enable the Agent Workspace setting.
- Save your
When the workspace is successfully enabled, a warning message appears.
- Make sure to wrap up any messages, calls, or unsaved tickets, then click Switch workspace.
To prevent application conflicts and potential tracking issues, Zendesk does not recommend using the Support Chat app with the Zendesk Agent Workspace. When the agent workspace is enabled, the Support Chat app is automatically disabled on your account. If you subsequently disable the agent workspace and you want to use the Chat app, you have to manually re-enable it.
Disabling the agent workspace
You can disable the agent workspace if desired and revert to a default Support interface without unified conversations. If your account has messaging channels, you'll need to delete the social messaging channels in Admin Center, disable the Zendesk messaging channels in Admin Center, and close out all your existing messaging tickets before you disable the workspace.
To disable the agent workspace
- In Admin Center, click the Workspaces icon () in the sidebar, then select Agent tools > Agent interface.
- In the Agent workspace section, deselect the Enable the Agent Workspace setting.
- Save your
When the workspace is successfully disabled, a warning message appears.
- Make sure to wrap up any messages, calls, or unsaved tickets, then click Switch
When you disable the workspace, a message appears asking you to provide feedback. Your feedback will help Zendesk learn more about how you use this feature.
Disabling the agent workspace automatically disables focus mode.
- To restore support for social messaging channels in your account, set up the Social Messaging functionality in Support > Channel integrations. (Optional).