Flexible Hierarchies enables you to add subsections (sections in sections), to your help center knowledge base to create more levels in your hierarchy, up to six levels deep. You cannot add more levels to your community.
You must be a Guide admin to add subsections to your help center knowledge base.
You can put articles at any section level of the hierarchy, but articles cannot appear under categories. Sections can contain sections or articles or both.
The following diagram shows a help center hierarchy with four levels, including three section levels.
Getting started with subsections
If you have never used Flexible Hierarchies functionality to add a subsection to your help center, there are some considerations and possible theme updates to make before you add subsections to your help center.
- Ensure you have added code to your custom theme to enable subsections, if necessary.
If you are using a theme customized before March 29th, 2019, you need to add code to your custom theme to enable subsections before you can add subsections to your help center. Subsections are available by default in standard themes and themes that were customized after March 29, 2019.
If this step applies to you, see Enabling subsections in your theme.
- Decide on the design you'd like for subsections in your help center and update your theme to display subsections.
By default, the standard Copenhagen theme's section page template displays each section's subsections. You can modify the theme's code to display subsections on other page templates or change the look of the subsections lists. For some examples, see Displaying subsections in your help center.
- Add subsections to your help center.
If you have ensured that subsections are enabled in your theme and you are happy with how subsections display in your help center, then you can add subsections and articles to your hierarchy.
When you're ready to add subsections to your help center, see Adding a subsection to a section in this article.
Adding a subsection to a section
You can add subsections (sections in sections), to your help center. You can nest sections in sections for a maximum of five section levels. Each section can contain up to a maximum of 200 subsections in a section.
To add a section in a section
- In your help center or Guide Admin, click Add in the top menu bar, then select Section.
- Enter a Name and optional Description for your section.
- Ensure the correct Source language is selected if you support multiple languages.
- Under Order articles by, select an option for how you'd like articles to appear in this section.
If you select to manually order of articles, see Manually changing the order of articles to change the order of your articles.
- Under Hierarchy, click in the field, then select the section where you'd like this section to appear in your help center.
Click the names of categories and sections to drill down in the hierarchy and use the breadcrumbs to move back up in the hierarchy.
- If you have multiple section templates in your live theme, click the Template menu, then select a template.
If you do not select an alternate template, the default section template will be applied.
- Click Add.
The section is created.