Tags are words, or combinations of words, you can use to add more context to tickets (see About tags). Depending on your support workflow, you might want to add tags to provide more context for the request so that tickets can be viewed and tracked, or processed by your account's business rules.
Agents can add or remove tags in tickets, create views based on ticket tags, and search for tickets by tags. Agents in custom roles can add and remove tags only if their custom role allows it.
This article contains the following sections:
Adding tags to tickets
Agents can manually add tags to tickets to add more context. Agents in custom roles can add and remove tags only if their custom role allows it.
The following video gives you an overview of how to add tags to your tickets:
Adding tags to tickets [0:54]
- Create or edit a ticket.
- Enter new tags, separated by a space, in Tags.
As you type the tag, note the following:
- If the tag you are typing does not exist, it will be created when you press Enter.
- If the tag you are typing exists, autocomplete
displays suggested tags you can choose from.
For example, if you begin typing
cust, the tags
customer_feedbackwill show up; however,
locust_streetwill not.Note: If an existing tag hasn't been used in a ticket for 60 days, then it won't appear in the suggested tags list.
- You can use only alphanumeric, dash, underscore, and the forward slash / characters.
- You can't use special characters, such as #,
@, or ! in tags.
If you try to add tags with special characters, they disappear when the ticket is updated.
- Zendesk supports UTF-8 (Unicode). All languages supported by Zendesk can be added to tags.
- You can create a tag with more than one word if the words are connected with an underscore.
- There's no limit on the number of tags for a
ticket, but there is a limit on the total number
of characters in the Tags field.
This field supports up to 5096 characters. After you reach this limit, you will no longer be able to add more tags. None of your existing tags will be automatically removed.
- Click Submit to create or update the
The tags are added to the ticket.
Deleting tags from tickets
Agents can delete tags on one ticket at a time. To delete tags that have been applied to many tickets, you need Admin permission. See Deleting a tag and removing it from all non-closed tickets.
Deleting a tag from a ticket only removes the tag from that ticket; the tag will still appear on other tickets and in your account as a suggestion. If a tag hasn't been used for 60 days, it no longer appears as a suggestion.
To delete tags from a ticket
- Open a non-closed ticket. You cannot delete tags from closed tickets.
- In the Tags field of the ticket, click the close box (x) for the tags you want to delete. The tag is removed from the ticket.
Creating views based on ticket tags
You can add tags as conditions in views, which enables you to quickly view all tickets that contain specific tags. Agents can create personal views for their own use. Admins can create shared views. You can also view all tickets where a tag is applied.
- In Admin Center, click Workspaces in the sidebar, then select Agent tools > Views.
- Create a new view, or open an existing view for editing.
- Add a Tags condition.
- Choose the condition operator Contains at least one of the following.
- Enter one or more tags (separated with a space).
- Add any other conditions that you'd like (for example, adding a condition for open tickets).
- Set the view formatting options as needed.
- Click Add View.
Your new view is listed in the Views menu in Zendesk Support.
Searching for tickets by tags
You can search for tags contained in tickets and forum articles. Using the search box, enter the name of the tag and the search results will display all the tickets and forum articles that contain the tag.
Your search results will contain only occurrences of the word ‘installation’ when used as a tag.